The Best Holiday Sugar Cookie Recipe Your Friends and Family Will Love

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bowling Green chapter.

Do you want to impress your loved ones with homemade cookies this holiday season? This recipe was my great grandmother’s and it’s a favorite in my family. If you like lofthouse sugar cookies, you will love this recipe for soft, chewy sugar cookies. Try it out and maybe you’ll have a new family favorite too!

“Grandma’s sugar cookies”

Ingredients

Butter 1 cup
Sugar 1 1/2 cup
Eggs 2
Flour 4 1/2 cup
Baking soda 1 tsp
Baking powder 1 tsp
Salt 1 tsp
Nutmeg 1tsp
Sour cream 1 cup
“Grandma’s Sugar Cookies” Ingredients

Instructions

Make the cookie dough

1. In a mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar together. (Butter should be softened to room temperature.)
  2. In another bowl, add baking soda, baking powder, salt, and nutmeg to flour and mix.
  3. Slowly add both the flour mixture and sour cream (in small amounts at a time) to the creamed butter and sugar mixture.
  4. Cover with plastic wrap and chill dough for 1-2 hours in the fridge.

Bake the cookies

1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
  2. Roll out the dough with a rolling pin on a a board (or the counter) covered with flour.
  3. Cut shapes with cookie cutters. (Tip: it helps to dip the cutters in a small bowl of flour first to get the perfect shape!)
  4. Move the cookie shapes to a nonstick baking sheet.
  5. Cookies can be sprinkled with colored sugar sprinkles before baking (or frosted with powdered sugar icing after cooled).
  6. Bake for 10 minutes, or until very slightly brown at the edges.
  7. Store in an airtight container and cookies will remain soft.
Anna Kubitz

Bowling Green '22

Anna is a student at Bowling Green State University studying Visual Communication Technology and minoring in Marketing. She is chapter President and Campus Coordinator of Her Campus at BGSU. She loves fashion, music, matcha lattes, and is passionate about creating beautiful things. Anna also creates midsize fashion and lifestyle content on Instagram, @annakubitz.