Study and Jam: Your Guide to a Motivational Playlist

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bowling Green chapter.

It’s almost midterm time, and that means exams are on their way. Whether you’ve taken one or not, they’re probably stressful! A paper due here, five assignments due on the same day. When do you ever get free time to try and motivate yourself to keep going?

How about motivating yourself in a new way?

I personally love music. It’s always been a part of my life. It gives me a way to express my emotions without saying it myself. But something I’ve found is that music helps motivate me to keep going in my classes. The right song can always cheer me up!

First off, where do you want to start with your playlist? Do you need some happy tunes that have nothing to do with what you’re reading this week? Are you looking for something fun to sing along to with your roommate while you both study for a boring class? You’re in luck! There are plenty of music out there that will cheer you up.

Here are my top five songs to listen to while I study. I’ll give you my reason of why I chose them, and maybe you’ll give them a listen.

ME! By Taylor Swift (ft. Brendon Urie from Panic! At the Disco)

Let’s be completely honest here; this song is one to jam to for anyone. Even if you don’t like Taylor that much, this song is super upbeat! Every time I listen to this song, I feel so much positivity radiating in the lyrics. Plus, “you’re the only one of you” is the perfect beat to a drum when you’re feeling down about the test you think you’re going to fail. Just keep studying, and you’ll conquer that test the best way that you can do it.

Sucker by Jonas Brothers

Who doesn’t love this trio of brothers from our childhoods? Another upbeat song to keep your positivity. I always smile when I hear this song, and when I’m studying, I already feel better about the test. It’s almost perfect for going over your endless notes from your 8 AM class, and a good reminder that soon you can enjoy yourself. But study first!

My Shot from Hamilton: An American Musical

“Tryna reach your goal” is definitely hard. But for all my theatre lovers, I’m sure you’ll agree that this song definitely brings your spirits up. Don’t give up on that history class, and do not throw away your shot! Every step you take is another step to your goal. This song definitely makes me happier the moment I hear it, and I feel like I can conquer any test. But if you’re also a theatre lover, like me, make sure you’re studying before you break out into a one-man performance of the show. Although it’d be hilarious, you should remember that you have that test later this week and you need to do that first.

So What by P!NK

“I got a brand-new attitude, and I’m gonna wear it tonight.” We do need that girl power song somewhere on our playlist. And a new attitude to our upcoming exams is definitely what we need. Instead of telling yourself that you’ll fail, change your perspective and tell yourself that you’re going to pass that test. Tell the negative thinking to get out and show the world how you’re a rockstar!

Hey Look Ma, I Made It by Panic! At the Disco

This is definitely my favorite song when I’m studying, especially when it ends up being the last thing I listen to for my session that night. You made it this far, and there’s no reason to give up. You’re going to be the greatest, and you can count on this song telling you that it’ll be okay if you don’t do as well as you hope. You can always try again. Keep going. Study more! And when the playlist ends, you know you’ve gotten in the study time for that class that you need.

Again, you can make your playlist customized to how you like to study. Do you have other songs that make you happier the moment they appear on your list? Give yourself a special list that fits your needs while you study. I’m sure you’ll do great!

Carli Christenson

Bowling Green '23

My name is Carli Christenson. I'm a third year student studying Visual Communications Technology for a specialization in photography and print. I'm an absolute nerd, and I adore musical theater. I'm also part of the LGBT+ community!
Lindsay is a campus correspondent for Her Campus at Bowling Green State University. She is a junior at Bowling Green State University, studying Human Development and Family Studies and Creative Writing. Lindsay is an active member of Falcon Miracles, formally known as Dance Marathon and H2O Church. In her free time, she can be found on campus in the HDFS lounge, exploring Perrysburg area or sitting at her favorite spot at Flatlands in downtown Bowling Green. Lindsay has high taste in home decor, fashion, and of course, coffee.