Spooky Books to Get You in the Mood for Halloween

The Her Campus National Editors write about products we love and think you’ll love too. Her Campus has affiliate partnerships, so we get a share of the revenue from your purchase. All products are in stock and all prices are accurate as of publication.

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bowling Green chapter.

Halloween is a time for scares. Most people look for the adrenaline rush in haunted houses or movies. Some like to find the eerie feeling with a good book late at night. Are you struggling to find one that will leave you with chills down your spine? Look no further!

Carmilla by Sheridan Le Fanu

When most people think of a memorable vampire book, they think of Dracula. However, Carmilla came 26 years before Bram Stoker’s most famous work. This book follows Laura, a young girl, and her father, who live in an isolated castle in Austria. One day, a horse-drawn carriage comes into view and a mysterious yet beautiful girl Carmilla, emerges. As Laura and Carmilla create an intense friendship, Carmilla becomes more and more peculiar. Random deaths occur in the town and Laura is suddenly becoming exhausted as nightmares fill her dreams. Is it a coincidence? Or is it due to a newcomer?

Clown in a Cornfield by Adam Cesare

Kettle Springs is a town divided by adults who want to make it great again and kids who just want to have fun and cause a ruckus. Quinn Maybrook is a girl who simply got caught in a rivalry between the two when she moved. All she wants to do is make it to graduation and get out. But when Frendo, a clown in a pork-pie hat who happens to be an old company’s mascot, goes on a killing spree, plans are changed. Will Quinn make it until graduation? Or will Frendo change everything?

We have always lived in a castle by shirley jackson

Merricat, her sister Constance, and their Uncle Julian are the only remaining people within their family. Their parents mysteriously and tragically passed six years ago. Though Merricat goes out for groceries, Constance refuses to leave the house. In fact, the only time she has interaction with the outside world is when she has her one friend over. That is until a strange man claiming to be their cousin, Charles, comes into the scene. Merricat is unhappy with his presence and grows wary of him. Is this really their cousin Charles? Why did he come? And above all else, what actually happened to Merricat and Constance’s parents?

My best friend’s exorcism by grady hendrix

Abby and Gretchen have been best friends since fifth grade. They were there for each other during their most awkward points in their life. However, when high school starts, that seems to change. Gretchen starts acting weird. Soon, strange coincidences and crazy behavior starts to happen… And Abby has a reasoning as to why: Gretchen is possessed. Can Abby and Gretchen’s friendship stand up against the devil himself?

The Turn of the Screw by Henry James

A young woman’s first job is to be governess for two odd children, Miles and Flora. Though things seem fine at first, suddenly the governess is seeing figures… Silent, scary, evil creatures who get closer and closer by the night. The governess realizes that the ghouls want the children… To possess their minds and take their souls. As terrified as she may be, she is even more terrified by the fact that the children have no fear towards the creatures. How far will they go to take the children? Read to find out!

Makenna Flores

Bowling Green '25

Makenna has a passion for writing and social media. You can catch her watching a show, keeping up with news including all things pop culture, or with a book in her hand. She believes in fighting for what is right and making sure important topics are coming into light.