This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bowling Green chapter.

It’s no surprise that everyone gets drained of motivation. School, family, work, etc., all take a toll on us. Or maybe you just do not have motivation one day for no reason! Whatever the reason is, it is okay and you should never be ashamed. Every day is another step to tomorrow, so take it at whatever pace you can. When I am trying to do this, I have struggled to find reasons to get motivated, until recently.

I was laying in bed one day, left with no motivation whatsoever, when I suddenly got the urge to open my blinds! I never open my blinds, no matter what it is like outside or inside! Now it wasn’t even nice out. It was a very cold, gloomy day! For whatever reason, I still got the urge to let some light in! So, I got up, opened my blinds, and felt like my room transformed! Just letting a little light into the room made me feel so much better. I felt like I had the motivation to do all my school work, some journaling, put my clothes away, read my new book, and do whatever I needed to do!

Being exposed to some light in the room that I have gloomed in all year made it seem like a whole new space. It was kinda like when you go to a cute little coffee shop and find the spot right by the window you feel like working until you get all your studying! You have to know what I’m talking about, right?!

I wasn’t sure how long this feeling would last, so I got to work right away! I moved my pillow to the other end of the bed so I could look out the window and keep feeling the light hit me! I worked on homework and did some reading while feeling so accomplished and motivated! So, if you are feeling down or need a little bit of brightness, open those blinds!! Now of course, I’m not saying this would work for everyone! You could have your blinds open every day! I’m not saying this is going to cure your gloomy mood every day and every time! This is no cure, by far really. But try something different! Change something about where you are to make you a little happier!

Emma Jones

Bowling Green '25

Emma is a sophomore at BGSU majoring in social work with a minor in Human Development and Family Studies! She loves to write about wellness, college lifestyle, and relationships/friendships! She also loves photography, listening to music, and is always down for a good cup of coffee with friends!