This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bowling Green chapter.

In 2023, I watched 39 new movies. By new, I mean it was the first time I watched them. Some were released in 2023, and some are classics that you will probably be shocked I watched for the first time just this past year. I’m usually pretty lenient when it comes to scoring movies, if it makes me laugh and I was entertained, it’s most likely getting a pretty high score. But, I only gave 9 movies 5 stars this year, and not all of those made the list. Here are the 6 best movies I watched in 2023. 

The Starling girl

Starting off as strong as possible, this was my absolute favorite movie of 2023. It follows the story of Gem Starling, a sheltered 17-year-old girl who lives in an extremely religious community. She falls in love with her youth pastor, and vice versa, which is undoubtedly wrong, but the way the story is told, you can’t help but root for her. I’ve seen this movie probably 4 or 5 times, and each time I watch it, I have a different view about whether or not it is morally right. The plot is so conflicting because you want her to get out of her toxic environment so badly, and her relationship with her youth pastor is her only way to do that. The storytelling, the acting, the way that there is not a single second of this movie that is wasted, it’s just perfect. It’s sad, enraging, magnetic, and capable of making you feel every emotion possible. 

the hunger games : the ballad of songbirds and snakes

Don’t roll your eyes. Listen. Yes, I was a big Hunger Games fan back in the day, but that has nothing to do with why I think this movie is so great. Actually, the only reason I went to see it was because I felt a sort of obligation because of my past Hunger Games phase. Based on the book of the same name, this prequel tells the story of a young President Snow, and his past love affair who made him the cold-hearted dictator he is. I wasn’t expecting much, but I was pleasantly surprised. Regardless of my Hunger Games obsession and my loyalty to Peeta Mellark, this movie was completely enriching. I’m not even saying that because of how good-looking young Coriolanus Snow is. Okay, maybe it has a little something to do with it, but still, I loved every aspect. I love movies where you are unintentionally rooting for the villain, and that is exactly what I found myself doing while I watched. It was thoroughly scary, suspenseful, conflicting, and everything else that makes a great dystopian movie. 

talk to me

I can’t believe I’m saying this, because I really don’t like horror movies, but this movie was one of my favorites. It was absolutely terrifying, but I couldn’t look away. What I liked the most about Talk to Me was that the entire thing wasn’t scary and gory. Some of it was sentimental, sad, and touching. This movie did a great job at making you build a relationship with the characters. More so, they make you love the characters and then they do horrific things to them. I won’t say much because I don’t want to spoil anything and you need to see this for yourself. I was horrified in the best way possible. And I definitely slept with my lights on that night. 

the truman show

You waited until 2023 to watch this?’ I know, I know. I was definitely overdue, but I had always seen this movie as something that I had to get out of the way. A classic movie that I kept forgetting to cross off of my watch list. I’m not sure why I thought I wouldn’t like it, but I was so wrong. I can’t even explain this movie, you just need to go watch it yourself. Just imagine if Black Mirror took place in the 90s. It’s a 90-minute existential crisis that you will carry with you for the rest of your life. This is the type of movie where it ends and you have to lay down and stare at your ceiling for a while. And then you have to secretly look around for any hidden cameras in your room. 

barbie

There’s a reason this movie was so popular. I think that everyone went into Barbie expecting it to be a cute and fun story about a doll, but then left the movie crying. The thing that makes this movie so admirable is that it is a cute story about a doll, but it also makes you question life, beauty, aging, womanhood, and gender roles. It’s so lively and enjoyable, yet at the same time thought-provoking. Yes, maybe I’m getting a little too philosophical about Barbie, but am I really the only one who had a spiritual experience while watching? And no, I didn’t watch Oppenheimer.

little shop of horrors

Before you ask, yes I am a former theater kid. Surprisingly, I had never seen this movie before, I had only listened to the soundtrack. When I looked at my 2022 Spotify Wrapped and “Suddenly Seymour” was number 3, I knew it was time to watch it. Even if you aren’t a huge musical fan, there is something in this movie for everyone. Hilarious characters, catchy songs, and Bill Murray. There’s not much more you can ask of a movie-musical. Is it an incredible movie with amazing acting and groundbreaking storytelling? Not even close. Does Steve Martin play a sadistic dentist and does it have the best opening number in the history of opening numbers? Yes, and that should be enough for you.

Olivia Garver

Bowling Green '26

Olivia is a Communication major with a minor in Business at Bowling Green State University. She is a second year student, and along with being involved in HerCampus, she is also involved in communication and organizations and greek life.