NEWSFLASH: We Need to Change the Stigma Around Colored Hair

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bowling Green chapter.

From a young age, I was always told, “Don’t ever dye your hair,” and, “Your hair is so pretty, you’ll ruin it.” I am a natural brunette, and for most of my life, I stayed that way. I used to do blonde highlights or ombre, but when I came to college, I stopped coloring my hair in any way.

I am a natural brunette, and for most of my life,
I stayed that way.

That is… until April of this year, when I asked my friend if they would help me dye my hair pink. They were willing to do it for free as long as I bought all the materials! I had no issue with this, and on a Friday, I decided to dye my whole head pink. It was bright and fun, and I was so excited to have a fun hair color. Most people really liked my hair and my job had no problem with it.

However, not everyone was thrilled. They had a quick jump to, “Why did you do that to your hair?” or “You realize you won’t be able to get a job with that hair color right?” I knew I would get those kinds of comments, but I knew I was still allowed to be upset about it; and I am definitely allowed to discuss it. I am writing this article for me and for anyone else with hair colors that may be considered “odd,” or “weird,”; who don’t know how to address these comments. It is time we end the stigma around unnaturally colored hair.

If you don’t understand why someone would have unnaturally colored hair and feel the need to comment on it, remember that it is not up to you what someone else does with their body. If someone wants pink (or blue) hair, let them! They don’t need you to tell them that they won’t find a job. More jobs are becoming more accepting of unnaturally colored hair because someone’s professionalism has nothing to do with how they style their hair. Professionalism comes from how you act and carry yourself. Also, if a job has a problem with unnaturally colored hair, is that a company I want to work for? Am I going to feel respected in that space? Why would I put my labor into a company that does not respect me for who I am? I deserve to work somewhere that lets me express myself and be my most authentic self.

Someone’s professionalism has nothing to do with how they style their hair.

If you have an “odd,” color in your hair, just know that I think you look cool. If someone tries to make you feel bad for your hair color, don’t pay any attention to them. Odds are, they are used to the status quo and fitting in and when someone challenges it, they feel confused or scared. If you are a manager or boss at your job and the company policy is no unnaturally colored hair, ask why that rule is there. Does having unnaturally colored hair really mean they are unprofessional or lack work ethic? The answer is no, work ethic and professionalism come from mannerisms someone upholds. The same applies to visible tattoos and piercings (but that’s for another time). Let people have fun with their choice of hair! Life is short and there are much bigger problems than worrying about the color of someone’s hair.

Kassidy Hoyt

Bowling Green '22

I am a student at Bowling Green State University. My major is Political Science and my minor is Sociology. After graduation I want to get my Masters in Public Administration and work for a Non-Profit Organization. I love hanging out with my friends, coloring, and playing my Nintendo Switch. I have a cat and I love all animals. She/her they/them.