Local Musician Spotlight: Bex Arcuri Continued Success

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bowling Green chapter.

In January of this year, I published an article about a local musician named Bex Arcuri. The article was a hit and its no wonder why; people LOVE Bex Arcuri (including me!) When we last spoke with Arcuri, she was working on her third year of college, released her EP Wilting Flowers, and continued to perform her music for others. To read the full article, click here. Bex is still studying Human Development and Family Sciences with a minor in Music Industry, but has now entered her senior year of college. Eight months later and the start of a new semester, I thought it would be a great idea to catch up with Bex Arcuri and see how her music career has grown.

The Interview

Kassidy Hoyt (me): Hi Bex! I hope you are doing well today. The last time we heard from you was January of this year. What has changed for you since we last spoke? What were you working on in that time?

Bex Arcuri: So much has changed in such little time! Along with furthering my counseling career, I have been finishing my minor in Music Industry here at BGSU! I started a band earlier this year after we last talked, which was really fun! We played some gigs at Arlyn’s and Bloomfest. Eventually, the spring semester came to a close and the band fell through, but we still play together and stay in contact. It was an amazing experience to perform with a whole band live after not gigging for so long! In a sense, something came alive in me after that gig that hadn’t been there in quite a while. Being in this industry is hard, and I lost motivation to perform and wanted to just compose music. However, after that night I was just completely ready to concentrate, hone my skills, and work on more music on my own! In the past, I had everything pretty much produced and managed for me by other people. Now, I feel confident in my abilities and am self-producing myself. I suppose that is what self-producing is. That is what I spent the most time doing this summer…working on producing my new song “My Mind” feat. Steven Naylor!

KH: Sounds like you have been keeping busy! I also want to say, congrats  on starting your Senior Year at BGSU! Do you have an after graduation plan?

BA: Yes! First, I need to pass! Then, I plan to apply to become a Certified Family Educator. I actually plan to stay at BGSU for graduate school. I will be enrolled in the Clinical Mental Health Counseling program to receive my Master of Arts and license! I also plan to continue working at Wood County Educational Service after school in something prevention education related. That will be taking up most of my time after this year, as graduate school is incredibly new and different. However, I still plan to continue practicing, gigging, and writing music to release in the future! I will have my minor in Music Industry, and I am excited to see where that will take me.

KH: That sounds like you have a really great plan for yourself. I wish you well in your future endeavors and know that you have a bright future ahead! What projects have you been working on? What can we expect to hear from you? 

BA: Well, I just released a new single on August 1st, called My Mind feat. Steven Naylor.  This was the first project I produced on my own and collaborating with Steven Naylor was such an amazing and new experience for me! Steven is so talented on so many levels, and I wanted to really center the piece around him. It turned into this indie pop/jazz type of song, which was something neither of us had ever really created before. It was a really cool experience, and the final product was something we were really proud of. Going forward, I plan to be gigging around BG at local open mics! My guitarist, Adam Shroeder, my manager, Hannah Secre, and I are always looking for more dates to get booked. 

KH: Well I can’t wait to hear your next performance and congrats on the release of your new song! We talk a lot about your music career but we also want to know more about you. Outside of making music, what are your other interests or what do you do in your free time? 

BA: I don’t have much free time between music school and the education school. However, whenever I do have free time, I like to catch up on reading, go out to eat and drink with my boyfriend and friends, and mainly play video games to de-stress! I love to go out for walks and practice when I can! My favorite games to play this month are Minecraft and Mortal Kombat!

KH: Thank you for sharing that. I’m glad you still find time to do fun things and are able to de-stress, you seem so busy, you deserve a breather. Going back to music, do you have any events going on in the future that you would like to promote?

BA: I do! Like I said earlier, you can find us at Grumpy Dave’s Pub Open Jams the first Thursday of every month at 8pm this fall semester! In the spring semester, I will be competing in the Conrad Art Song Competition at the College of Musical Arts. And on March 4th at 2pm at the First United Methodist Church of BG, I will be hosting my senior recital! I hope to add more gigs to my lineup soon!

KH: Sounds like some great opportunities you have lined up. My last question for you is are you working on new music? If so, when will it be released?

BA: I am actually working on a single called, “Again.” I don’t have an exact release date yet, but Hannah and I are hoping to have the single out by the end of the fall semester! I can’t wait for everyone to hear it!

It’s safe to say that Bex Arcuri continues to be a success not only in music, but in the classroom too! To be working on all these music projects, while also doing well in school is very admirable and shows how dedicated she is to her work. Not to mention, her music is incredibly authentic and she has a beautiful voice. To hear Arcuri’s new song My Mind and keep up with her career (or contact her for a booking), visit @bexarcurimusic on Instagram. You can also find her website here.

Kassidy Hoyt

Bowling Green '22

I am a student at Bowling Green State University. My major is Political Science and my minor is Sociology. After graduation I want to get my Masters in Public Administration and work for a Non-Profit Organization. I love hanging out with my friends, coloring, and playing my Nintendo Switch. I have a cat and I love all animals. She/her they/them.