This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bowling Green chapter.

This year for Valentine’s Day I am, as always, single, but this year I’m not alone! My roommates and I have banded together in a crew of single ladies who say “screw the patriarchy, let’s go to build-a-bear!” Now being that Valentine’s Day is on a Tuesday and we’re all college students, we’ve decided to delay our Galentine’s Day till Saturday. Here’s the Itinerary for my dream day:

10:00 am – An absolutely reasonable time to wake up! Who knows to what ungodly hour we’ll be awake the night before, so waking up at 10 gives us just enough time to sleep in but still enough time in the day. Seeing that I’ve gotten enough sleep, I’ll double that beauty with a chic outfit. Pearls are both romantic and a great accessory for the day, luckily, my favorite pearl choker has matching earrings. Red satin is a Valentine’s Day staple and I have just the dress for it. Pair that all with a comfy pair of combat boots and I’m rocking and ready to go!

11:00 am – Brunch! Now this will probably be dependent on my food-mood of the day but chances are, I’ll order a sesame bagel avocado bacon egg sandwich from Einstein Bagels or a turkey bacon egg sandwich from Starbucks. Bowling Green State University is lucky enough to have both on campus – so it’s a money-saving move for the day with my student meal plan!

12:00 pm – Vroom, vroom, here we go! Our local build-a-bear is around an hour away, so this will be time spent jamming out to tunes in the car, if we’re being honest, it’ll be a whole lot of Taylor Swift.

1:00 pm – Build-A-Bear! My roommates and I do a “Roomie Question of the Week” every week, this week’s was, “What build-a-bear would you build?”. There was a mix of responses from axolotls, capybaras (do they even have capybaras?), longhorns, turtles, and octopi! In any case, the build-a-bear rule is as follows: if thou art single, thou can build thy bear but if thou art coupled, thou can attend but not build a bear.

3:00 pm – Shop till you drop! We’re out of town and in a mall center, so we might as well see what else is around!

6:00 pm – Dinner! There are a few sit-down dinner options in the mall complex including Italian and Mexican but we as a group do have to keep in mind the dietary needs of our group (we have three meat-asauruses and one veggie-saurus).

8:00 pm – Drive Home! I’m listening to Taylor Swift, I’m singing to Taylor Swift, what a glorious drive home, we’re happy again!

9:00 pm – Switch into pajamas and pop on a chick-flick or two! I’ll be the first to admit, I am not a lover of chick flicks, but my very best friend/roommate is, so for her sake and for the sake of her favorite holiday, we can watch one or two. I might force us to watch The Little Mermaid in return, though I think most of the party will be satisfied with that. I imagine this is the way we’ll spend the rest of the night, on the couch with our newly stuffed friends.

Even without a date or the “romance” of the season, I can make the most out of Valentine’s Day simply by being around the people I love the most.

Kylie Schmehl

Bowling Green '25

Kylie is an AYA: ILA student at Bowling Green State University, which means she's studying to teach English and Drama at the middle and high school level. She loves music, theatre, and poetry. Kylie is passionate about self-discovery and so she'll try just about any new classification quiz. She's an Enneagram 9, an INFP, and her love language is Acts of Service.