How I Create an Annual Video Diary

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bowling Green chapter.

Nowadays, there are countless ways to record our lives and keep track of memories, from handwritten journal entries to Snapchat memories. My favorite way to record my life has been the free 1 Second Everyday app (ISE). I started using 1SE on January 1st, 2022. The way it works is you record or upload a very brief video clip each day. These clips then get compiled into a long video with each date (and location if you set that up) in the lower left corner. Personally, I wait to watch my video until I have clips for all 365 days, as a way to recount the year.

Some moments are more interesting than others, but they are all real.

My 1SE is a realistic overview of each day of my year. While I choose to post mine, it is not created with that intention. This means there is no shame in featuring “boring” or filler clips from relatively dull days, like walking to class or doing homework. In fact, I like including the simple days along with the exciting days because that creates a more authentic recap of the year. Various examples from my 2022 video were ice skating, coffee shops, plane ride, embroidering, biking, trip to the ER, sunsets, moving out of my dorm, playing with pets, fireworks, friends smiling, etc. Some moments are more interesting than others, but they are all real. That juxtaposition is what makes the video compelling, so there is no pressure for each clip to be more thrilling than the previous.

Post shared by @1secondeveryday on Instagram

While my 1SE is essentially a video diary, you could also follow a theme or use it as a tracker throughout a whole year or a custom duration. If you’re a foodie, you could film what you eat/cook each day. If you love fashion, your 1SE could consist of mostly outfits that you wear. While I prefer the open-endedness of highlighting a moment to represent each day, it could definitely be used to document a specific project or goal.

General tips for using 1SE:

• Variety and Noticing Habits: Your days may feel routine, but it is easier than you think to not record the same moment each passing day. Look out for what makes each seemingly-same day different. Repetitive clips might become dull to watch and to actually experience, so I like to think about how I can shake things up in my life. This might be taking a different route to class, finding a new spot to hang out at with friends, or eating something new.
  • Utilizing Live Photos: If you have an iPhone, live photos are brief videos that capture what happens right before and after you snap a photo. While you can add regular photos to the app, live photos and videos create a more dynamic product.
  • Adding Music: While the app itself is free, some features aren’t. Music isn’t free, so what I have done is export my video, and then use iMovie to add music before sharing the video. If you don’t add music, you’ll hear each clip’s individual audio.
  • Orientation: Try to keep most of your footage either vertical or horizontal so it flows smoother when you watch it.
  • Featuring Friends and Family: Our years aren’t spent completely alone, so our 1SE videos should reflect that too.
  • Don’t Forget: Most people always have their phone handy and are taking photos or videos of their lives anyway. I keep my 1SE app at a prominent spot on my phone’s home screen, and I have only forgotten to get footage once. Additionally, you could set a notification to remind you about the app.

1SE is a fun way to remember and reflect on the small and big moments of the year, so I would recommend it to anyone!

Taylor Necko

Bowling Green '23

Taylor has a BFA in Creative Writing from BGSU. She's on the editorial staff of Prairie Margins. Taylor enjoys writing articles and stories, chipping away at her to-be-read list, drawing in sketchbooks, and keeping up with her favorite shows/musicians.