Wellness

Fun Ways to Stay Active as the Weather Changes

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bowling Green chapter.

One of the hardest things to do when it gets cold is go outside. As the weather changes, I know it can be more difficult to stay active. It can be so easy to just cuddle up with a blanket in your dorm or apartment and watch movies with your roommates. PLUS, the sun sets earlier and if you have classes all day, by the time you get home, relax for a bit and maybe eat a meal, it’s already dark out. Here are a few ideas of things you can do by yourself or with your friends to help you stay active this fall.

Hiking

I feel like this one is so obvious, but hiking can be a good activity to get some exercise. The leaves have also started changing and a hike could be a good opportunity for a cute fall photo shoot for your Instagram. The Black Swamp Preserve, Slippery Elm Trail, and the Wintergarden/St. Johns Nature Preserve are all local trails here in Bowling Green that are worth checking out!

Toledo Zoo and Aquarium

Walking around the Toledo Zoo is a great way to get your steps in! They have so many exhibits and an event called “Harvest Fest” running now until the end of October. The Harvest Fest is included in Zoo admission and features displays of giant pumpkins, fall-themed activities, seasonal food and beverages, and other fall-themed events.

Corn Maze, Apple Picking, and Pumpkin Patches

Grab your besties and head to one of the local orchards or pumpkin patches. The Pumpkin Peddler is a cute pumpkin patch located just outside of Bowling Green. October is pumpkin season, so go pick yourself a pumpkin and grab a hayride before it’s too late! The Haslinger Orchards are located about 20 minutes east of Bowling Green. They have apple picking, cider, pumpkins, and donuts available. If you’re looking for a corn maze, you want to visit Suter’s Produce. This one is a bit of a hike, an hour south of Bowling Green but they have a huge Ancient-Egypt-themed corn maze this year that you don’t want to miss.

Bowling Green Parks

If you’re looking for an easy afternoon, try one of Bowling Green’s Parks. There is the City Park, located near downtown Bowling Green which has a walking trail, pavilions for picnics, a baseball field, a huge playground, and even a skate park. Carter Park is located on the southeastern end of Bowling Green. Carter Park has disc golf, a playground, softball fields, a walking trail, and a BUNCH of green space.

Dance Party

If you’re looking to stay on campus or at home, grab your friends and have a dance party. This one seems corny but can be so much fun and is a good way to get moving in the comfort of your own home. Allow yourselves to get a little crazy. You’ll definitely laugh at each other and this will become such a good memory.

Yoga

With the stress of midterms and even getting towards the end of the semester and exams, yoga can be a good way to stretch your body, activate your mind, and relieve stress. There are different types of Yoga, some are energizing and can be done in the morning for a boost of energy and others can be relaxing and are good for before bed. There are Yoga classes offered at the REC center on campus but if you don’t want to pay for a class there are so many videos on YouTube of different Yoga classes and stretches that are worth checking out. One thing I like about yoga is that it can be done in your dorm room or apartment. You don’t have to go to a class or even be around others while you ease your mind. The REC does occasionally offer free classes, check their website or your BG email for updates.

Julia Borodkin

Bowling Green '25

Hey! I'm Julia, a junior at BGSU studying Business Administration with a specialization in Marketing. I enjoy reading romance novels, listening to podcasts and being outdoors. I am originally from Akron, OH and am excited to be part of the Her Campus Team! :)