Festive Ways to Celebrate Christmas without Breaking the Bank

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bowling Green chapter.

Christmas is such a wonderful time but, the holidays can get extremely expensive! Whether it’s paying to go see Christmas lights that really aren’t that cool, or spending an arm and a leg for the hot item of the year which will be out of style in no time. The holidays should be about spending time with friends, family, and enjoying the season. Here are some ways to celebrate the season without heavily buying into consumerism.

PePpermint Mocha… (Yes, Please!)

One of my favorite and affordable ways to get into the Christmas spirit is by getting a holiday-flavored drink! My go-to Christmas drink is a peppermint mocha latte with almond milk! This is a super affordable way to get in the Christmas spirit, bonus points if you bring a friend!

Here are some coffee spots near Bowling Green:

• Starbucks on-campus
  • Flatlands Coffee
  • Grounds for Thought

Go to a Christmas Parade…

A super fun way to get into the holiday spirit is by attending a Christmas parade! These parades include lots of candy and Christmas spirit! It’s so fun to go with a friend, date, or family! Another perk is the perfect aesthetic for Christmas-themed pictures for your feed!

Let’s go for a drive…

One of my favorite ways to celebrate the holidays (that costs almost nothing) is driving around and looking at Christmas lights! People spend a lot of time and energy putting up Christmas lights, let’s enjoy them! You can explore a new neighborhood or city and put on some Christmas music for the perfect, low-key night!

Second-Hand Gifts…

If gift-giving is your love language, a meaningful way to give is to buy second-hand gifts! Second-hand gifts support the ethical production of goods that are good for the Earth! If you are looking for clothing you can often find pieces that are timeless at the thrift store! You can also harness your crafty side by DIY-ing and flipping the things you find!

Haley Muter

Bowling Green '25

Hi! My name is Haley Muter! I am a chapter leader for HC at BGSU! I am a sophmore majoring in middle-childhood education, specifically language arts and social studies. I am also minoring in psychology. I write about many topics under the sun but, my favorite topics to write about are mental health, music, and environment-friendly things!