This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bowling Green chapter.

Our college years are what I like to call, “the era of shoulds.”  Virtually anyone you run into on the street has an opinion about what you “should” be doing with your life in your 20’s.  Parents, friends, teachers, mentors, significant others, employers, advisors; so many people who are older and wiser and remember all too well the ages of introspection, learning, and many times, instability that come with emerging adulthood.  There are a lot of resources available to us in our college years, but that also means a lot of voices and opinions to juggle.  

You “should” be getting a four year degree or proceeding onto graduate school.  You “should” be building a resume that can compete in the workforce. You “should” be taking steps toward financial security, like, yesterday; credit scores, credit cards, investments…get with it!  You “should” be taking opportunities such as co-ops and internships that will look impressive to future employers. You “should” be traveling as much as possible in a world that can’t stop talking about globalization and cultural competence.  You “should” identify as liberal when it comes to politics since you are a part of the younger generation. You “should” be honing in on and starting to feel secure about your passions and skills in life. You “should” be as social as possible not only for professional networking, but also, have you been on a date recently? When are you having kids?

That is quite the list, isn’t it?  Lots of voices and tons to keep track of.  I bet there are more “shoulds” you have heard loud and clear recently that you could add.

Here’s something that you might not have been asked recently: What do YOU think you “should” be doing?  

Have you ever asked yourself?

I have some really great news for you.

THIS is the time to figure it all out.

You will NEVER be in a better place to take the time and the space you need to ask the hard questions and figure out who you are at your core and what is most and least important to you.

Congratulations.  You have hit the sweet spot for self-discovery.

So rather than running to that mentor and asking for their advice, taking inventory of what all your peers or friends are doing, making sure your every move is exactly in line with familial expectations; press pause, breathe deep, and ask yourself, what does my heart say when I get quiet with it?

Now is the time to sit quietly with yourself, sister.

The worlds “shoulds” will still be there tomorrow, if you decide you want to call on them for guidance.

But I urge you, don’t lose track of your own inner compass amid all the chaos,

Don’t let the “shoulds” drown out your own inner voice, because that is what is most important.

There is only one you.

What should YOU being doing today to share your sweet presence with the world?

Jackie Burns

Bowling Green '19

BGSU Falcon BA Opera Performance BS Human Development and Family Studies TEDxHilliard 2018 Speaker Lover of People, Jesus and Adventure Taking actionable steps toward turning the dreams God has placed on my heart to the reality I am walking out