DIY Halloween Costumes Using Solid Color T-Shirts

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bowling Green chapter.

Halloween is right around the corner! If you’re in need of some Halloween costune inspiration for this year, here are some costumes ideas that you can create yourself with any solid color t-shirts that you may already have in your closet. 

A Black T-Shirt

Your favorite pair of black bottoms and a black top make the base for a variety of costumes such as: 

• Sandy from Grease by adding a pair of red shoes and some red lipstick

• A cat by adding cat ears and some simple cat makeup

• A witch by adding a witch hat and fun makeup

• A spy by adding black sunglasses, gloves, and a holster belt of tools

• Any favorite brand by printing out their logo and fastening it to your shirt

• A cop by adding a hat and a badge, or any other accessories 

Colored T-Shirts

• Red and Green for Mario and Luigi

• Green tops for peas in a pod

• Pink, Blue, and Green and be the powerpuff girls by adding simple accessories

• A red t-shirt can be used to make a firefighter costume by adding accessories

• A red t-shirt can also be used to make a devil costume by adding the appropriate accessories, such as a horn headband and tail

• Red, Orange, Yellow, and Green for taco bell hot sauce packets

• Red, Yellow, Green for a stop light

• An orange t-shirt can easily be used to make a pumpkin costume by using fabric paint to draw a jack-o-lantern face

If you have a large group, these costume ideas can be used where each person wears a different color shirt…

• Rainbow tops to be a pack of m&ms candy

• Rainbow t-shirts to be hydroflasks by printing out or drawing the logo on a t-shirt 

• Rainbow tops to be types of fruit or pac man ghosts

• Rainbow t-shirts can also be used to make a CareBears group costume by drawing or printing the designs onto each shirt

With all these options, you’re sure to have some ideas of cute costumes that you can create with your friends this year. Have fun and stay safe this Halloween!

Anna Kubitz

Bowling Green '22

Anna is a student at Bowling Green State University studying Visual Communication Technology and minoring in Marketing. She is chapter President and Campus Coordinator of Her Campus at BGSU. She loves fashion, music, matcha lattes, and is passionate about creating beautiful things. Anna also creates midsize fashion and lifestyle content on Instagram, @annakubitz.
Lindsay is a campus correspondent for Her Campus at Bowling Green State University. She is a junior at Bowling Green State University, studying Human Development and Family Studies and Creative Writing. Lindsay is an active member of Falcon Miracles, formally known as Dance Marathon and H2O Church. In her free time, she can be found on campus in the HDFS lounge, exploring Perrysburg area or sitting at her favorite spot at Flatlands in downtown Bowling Green. Lindsay has high taste in home decor, fashion, and of course, coffee.