Brooke’s Guide to Voting in Ohio

Updated Published
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bowling Green chapter.

As some of you may or may not know, on November 7th, 2023 there will be an election in the state of Ohio. Unfortunately, if you are not already registered to vote you can not participate in this general election, as the deadline has already passed. However, if you are registered, you might be like most people and think… “What is going on?” Fortunately, as a Political Science major, I know a bit about politics, government, and law. The intent of this article is not to persuade you in any way, my intention is to just inform you.

Typically when you vote, you go to your assigned precinct (for example, mine is in the gym of my old high school!) However, many people, especially college students, can’t always make it home to vote on Election Day. To combat this, you can enter mail-in ballots (Absentee Ballots). It’s basically what it sounds like, you request a ballot from your County Election Board and they will send you a ballot, you cast your vote, and then you mail it back to the election board. Absentee Ballots are available to order up until 7 days prior to the election, So, if you haven’t already you still have time!!

so what’s on the ballot?

Every county ballot is different when it comes to what you vote for. There might be candidates for different positions within the county, levies on schools, and state issues. This November 7th, there are probably some local issues but there are two state issues that will be on the ballot.

Issue 1

A “yes” vote would support amending the Ohio Constitution to:

• establish a state constitutional right to “make and carry out one’s own reproductive decisions, including but not limited to decisions about abortion, contraception, fertility treatment, miscarriage care, and continuing pregnancy and
  • allow the state to restrict abortion after fetal viability except when “necessary yo protect the pregnant patient’s life or health.”

A “no” vote opposes amending the Ohio constitution to establish the constitutional right to “make and carry out one’s own reproductive decisions.”

Issue 2

A “yes” vote would support the Marijuana Legalization Initiative in Ohio, including:

• allowing the sale and purchase of marijuana, which a new Division of Cannabis Control would regulate;
  • allowing adults who are at least 21 years old to use and possess marijuana, including up to 2.5 ounces and
  • enacting a 10% tax on Marijuana sales

A “no” vote simply opposes the legalization of marijuana in Ohio

How should I vote?

Voting is one of the biggest privileges we have when it comes to making decisions about our local, state, and national government. I encourage everyone to do their own research on this election and its issues. As well, do your own research on any and all issues to come in the future. Just get out there and vote!

Sources

https://ballotpedia.org/Ohio_Issue_1,Right_to_Make_Reproductive_Decisions_Including_Abortion_Initiative(2023)

https://ballotpedia.org/Ohio_Issue_2,Marijuana_Legalization_Initiative(2023)

Brooke McSeveney

Bowling Green '24

Brooke and a third year here at BGSU. She is a Political Science and Sociology double major. In her free time, Brooke enjoys writing, reading, art, listening to podcast and more. Brooke is passionate about social issues, mental health, government and women's rights. She is also our Social Media Director.