Life > Experiences

Behind the Scenes of Girlhood: What Becoming a Woman Really Means

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bowling Green chapter.

Hey, all! It’s Emma here, and I am thrilled to share my second article! This month, I am diving into another topic that is extremely significant to me and that I feel is applicable to all women; no matter their background, career, or upbringing. 

The term “girlhood” is currently romanticized heavily on social media platforms like Instagram and TikTok, but I don’t believe the media’s exhibition of this accurately depicts what girlhood actually looks like. “Girlhood” may be presented as taking exciting spontaneous trips with your best friends, ordering pizza and watching Gilmore Girls on a cozy night in, visiting Starbucks on the daily, or even impulsively deciding to chop your hair after a breakup. While all these things are enjoyable in their own way and tenaciously promoted when trying to define girlhood initially, it is not necessarily these experiences that transform girls into women. 

The truth is that girlhood is not an aesthetic we should be striving to match, or a standard that we feel we must work hard to achieve. I am writing to unearth the truth that shifting from girlhood to womanhood is a raw and authentic process, one that is not easy by any means but is incredibly beautiful and rewarding if we allow ourselves to perceive it in that way. Girlhood can be so easily written off as a frivolous approach to female activities in our modern society rather than being embraced for its true revitalization. Girlhood to womanhood is growing into your own and maturing as a young adult in ways that most people will not see because this development lies so far underneath the surface. It is a metamorphosis of insight into situations where one would not have previously demonstrated sufficient competency. Girlhood to womanhood is learning how to be resilient and continuing to push forward, despite any setbacks or obstacles in your path. In addition to this, it is realizing that your true worth does not lie in your accomplishments or the things you may do to achieve success, but in your character and how you positively impact others around you. Shaping yourself as a woman also involves acceptance that life goes on, no matter what you may be feeling in the moment. 

Furthermore, girlhood to womanhood guides you to recognize the importance of advocating for yourself and not fearing potential conflict in the process. This skill ties into not having to strive for others’ approval only to trap yourself in an incessant cycle of seeking validation. Girlhood to womanhood can even be signified by leaving toxic relationships and other circumstances that are no longer serving you, that way you can allow space for people and opportunities that will. Moving towards womanhood pushes you to be confident in your own beliefs, values, and lifestyle choices, and to understand that no matter what you may do or how hard you may try, you will never be perceived the same by everyone you encounter throughout your adult life.

Some additional experiences that are weaved into womanhood development include acknowledging that perfection is an unattainable goal in any area of your life and you are your own toughest critic, grasping the concept of setting our sights on more realistic expectations, and releasing negative labels we once used to categorize ourselves. In fact, sometimes taking a step back and reevaluating ourselves is just what we need in order to steadfastly uphold our place in this ever-changing society of ours, which is constantly upside down. It should also be noted that you will have to establish boundaries that align with your comfort levels and morals and go through times that will challenge how strong you can be, where your outspokenness is considered distasteful, and when your independence is questioned. Another key progression towards womanhood is learning not to rely on someone else for your happiness, but contributing to your own personal satisfaction and being grateful for the people you are blessed to have in your life. So many girls are wrapped up in the idea that they must have a boyfriend or romantic partner to feel fulfilled, but this is merely a distraction that takes away from discovering and living out your true purpose. You truly are capable of anything, if you are willing to put in the work to make it happen. 

Contrary to popular belief, I disagree with the notion that growing from a girl into a woman occurs at a singular pivotal moment and one’s mindset is completely shifted. The entire idea of “girlhood” is so much more than a desired Instagram aesthetic or a compilation of photos on a Pinterest board. Girlhood to womanhood is a time of self-transformation, new approaches, and soul-searching that looks different for everybody, and the most important thing to keep in mind out of every point mentioned is that these ideals take time to stand firm in. It can be harder to sustain these affirmations some days more than others, but I wanted to set the record straight on what maturing as a young woman really entails. Not just the Instagrammable parts, but the full version of the story. The authentic version. My version.

travel adventure sunset jeep road trip
Tessa Pesicka / Her Campus
Emma Reindel

Bowling Green '25

Emma is a second-year at Bowling Green State University, majoring in Tourism and Event Management while double minoring in communications and leadership. She is an honors student and a choreographer for the Falconettes Dance Team, while also working for the Falcon Engagement Team for Student Involvement! In her free time, Emma enjoys reading, drinking coffee, working out, and listening to music.