The Lalapop Art Banana
The Lalapop Art Banana
Her Campus Media
Wellness > Sex + Relationships

Advocating Sexual Wellness, One YouTuber at a Time

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bowling Green chapter.

With YouTube becoming a more used platform, many are more likely to use the app/website as a source of information. Sex education does not have a shortage on the platform, and I have found a wide variety of people who promote sexual health and wellness, whether through safe sex, tutorials, or how to gain confidence in the bedroom. They range from professionals to non-professionals sharing their personal experiences. I gain from both as there is knowledge to be heard from from both communities.

P.S. These are also YouTubers that I personally watch, and as a cis, straight woman, most of the YouTubers share the same experiences. However, most of what the experts in this list discuss sex education that is inclusive of all genders. Hope this helps :)

Come Curious

Come Curious is run by two UK-based women, Florence and Reed who are friends with a passion for sexuality. They post videos on multiple topics surrounding sex including sex tips, taboo sex discussions (such as period sex), and a podcast where they invite experts and other individuals to discuss topics on sex and society’s idea of what sex is. Their entire channel is a sex-positive hub that ditches the may stigmas in society against sex. My favorite video s form their channel include “How to get over kink SHAME“, “How to lose your virginity*TIPS*“, and “Our way to make condoms sexy“.

Nadia Bokody

Nadia Bokody is a feminist sex columnist and mental health advocate who shares sex education videos twice a week. Her videos also talk about sexual health while living with mental illness, and its effect on one’s relationship with sex. Bokody touches on many topics such as masturbation hacks, sexual fantasies, sex toys, and foreplay.

Some of my favorite videos by her include “5 Mths About Vibrators that need to End“,”‘7 Signs You’re Ready for Sex“, and “What is Foreplay?“.

Maddie Dragsbaek

I may be biased in this statement but I believe Maddie Dragsbaek to be one of the most entertaining content creators I’ve seen the past few years. While her content is not centered around sexual wellness, her entire channel centers on body positivity through plus size fashion and sex positivity. Her videos on sexuality range from taking creative nudes, the art of seducing yourself, and how to communicate better in bed. When watching her videos, you feel like you’re talking to a close friend in casual conversation, adding to the enjoyment of her videos. Her channel is the epitome of sex and body positivity.

Some of my favorite videos of hers include “how to be a hot girl“, “how to seduce yourself“, and “how to take your best nudes”.

Hanna Witton

With over 95 million views on her channel, Hannah Witton has made herself a staple sex educator of YouTube, as she’s written books and broadcasts about sex. Her channel includes videos on sexuality and gender, making her channel more inclusive to the LGBTQ+ community. She talks about different people and sex, including people with disabilities, couples trying to get pregnant, and polyamory.

Some of my favorite videos of hers include “Tier Ranking My Sex Toys“, “Why ‘Enthusiastic’ Consent Doesn’t Work with Everyone(Models of Sexual Consent)“, and “Sexual Arousal, Desire and Attraction: What’s the Difference?”.

Stella Williams

As a plus size Black woman, I enjoy seeing other plus size Black women embrace their sexuality, and Stella Williams is a YouTube that emulates that energy. Her channel focuses on fashion and sexual wellness, including how to ride while plus size and tips on how to meet men. She invites all gender identities to watch her content, even with her content being from the experience of a straight cis woman, something she frequently mentions in her videos.

My favorite videos of hers include “How to ride a guy with CONFIDENCE” and “How to Get Naked in Front of Everyone

sexplanations

“Sexplanations” is an online show on YouTube hosted by sexologist and sex educator, Lindsey Doe. Since 2013, Doe’s show has focused on sex and many of its taboo topics that audiences are usually hesitant to discuss. In addition to education the public about sex and related topics, her channel also contains educational videos regarding sexual orientations and gender identities, making her channel an amazing place for all things sex, gender, and relationships. With a PhD in human sexuality, Doe is a very approachable individual that makes discussing taboo topics not taboo, working to normalize it. Some of my favorite videos of hers include “Why Do We Moan and What Are the Benefits?”, “Sex Toys 101“, and “13 Ways to Get Sexual Relief

Stephanie Villa

Like a few of the YouTubers on this list, Stephanie’s channel does not mainly focus on sex education, but her videos surround health, fitness, and lifestyle, making the channel a comforting place to be. Villa’s channel features a series called ‘Sex Smarts’, where she discusses “all things sex”. She discusses topics with her own research, as well as experiences. Some of my favorite videos of hers include “8 Foods for a Happy and Healthy Vagina“, “Why YOU Should Do Kegels!”, and “Gynecologist Answers YOUR Questions, ft, Dr. Jackie“.

Kat Blaque

Since 2005, Kat Blaque has been on YouTube, posting videos concerning her personal experiences as Black Transgender Woman who is active in the BDSM community. Her videos are vessels for interesting and controversial conversations. In addition to general videos concerning arts of her identity, whether that be her sexuality, gender identity, race, or past with sexual trauma. Her willingness to be so open about her personal experiences creates an intimate atmosphere for the viewer. Her intersectional identities aren’t hidden and it’s refreshing being able to consume different types of sex education, including information regarding the BDSM community. Some of my favorite videos from her channel include “Actual BDSMer Watches Fifty Shades of Grey” and “BDSM … in the Grocery Store?“.

Maria Duffy

Bowling Green '22

Maria Duffy is a fifth year Communication student at Bowling Green State University with a minor in Women's Studies. She hopes to get her Masters soon. Duffy has a passion for learning, writing, and empowering intersecting identities in terms of race and gender. They hope to inspire and work towards a more inclusive world.