Life > Academics

A Letter to Students Returning to In-Person Courses

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bowling Green chapter.

Hello,

As I am sure you are aware, we are now in the Fall 2021 semester of school. Whether this is your first year of college or even your final semester, odds are, you may be returning to in person courses after more than a year of virtual learning. For me personally, these are the first in-person courses I have had since Spring 2020 (before we went on lockdown). Maybe you are feeling nervous about being back in person because of health and safety concerns. Maybe you are feeling excited about being back in person because you find it easier to learn in person as opposed to in front a computer screen. Maybe you feel sad about being in person because last year was your first year of college and you never got a chance to meet anyone. No matter how you are feeling about being back to school face to face, you are not alone. 

This is my last year of undergrad and it also happens to be my fifth year, so you can imagine the amount of “Senior Scaries” I am facing. Trying to figure out where I want to go to grad school after undergrad, taking the GRE, and just overall trying to enjoy my last year has been a challenge. Doing so during a pandemic has made it that much harder. I am sharing my story in hopes that someone who can relate will hear this message and will not feel as alone. 

For anyone struggling, just know that you’ve got this! Being in college is hard and doing it during a global pandemic is even harder. But look at you, you’re going to classes and you may also be balancing work and extra curricular activities. Even if you don’t feel like you’re doing that great, I promise you are. College is not easy and trying to figure out how to be a responsible adult is not easy either. We have been thrown into unprecedented times but have stayed resilient and kept following our goals. That is something to be proud of and you should give yourself some credit for doing it!

You won’t remember that quiz you failed or that person who broke your heart, but you will remember all the hard work you put in to get an education to live your dream life.

I know right now we may be struggling but don’t give up and don’t lose hope. Ten years from now, you’ll look back on this, smile, and say “I did it.” You won’t remember that quiz you failed or that person who broke your heart, but you will remember all the hard work you put in to get an education to live your dream life. And if no one has told you today, I am so proud of you and I hope that you reach every single goal you set for yourself. I hope you have a great school year or semester (if this is your last semester in school). I also hope you start strong and may this be your best year yet! 

Kassidy Hoyt

Bowling Green '22

I am a student at Bowling Green State University. My major is Political Science and my minor is Sociology. After graduation I want to get my Masters in Public Administration and work for a Non-Profit Organization. I love hanging out with my friends, coloring, and playing my Nintendo Switch. I have a cat and I love all animals. She/her they/them.