This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bowling Green chapter.

It’s that wonderful time of year again! Streaming services are featuring our favorite spooky films. People are decorating their rooms and homes with themed decor. Everyone wants to know what you’ll be dressing up as for Halloween, and it’s the most exciting part.

…Especially for people like me!

I’ve always loved to go all out with my costumes. I attend conventions resembling my favorite characters. It’s a hobby I’ve grown to enjoy, and I’ve even been learning how to create costumes from scratch. Halloween is always an amazing time for me because I can get new materials for new outfits. I also love Halloween because I can showcase my recent work!

However, making costumes can be really expensive. I think my most recent costume I made while learning how to sew from my grandmother was almost $200. And that bill doesn’t include if you need to make stuff like armor, props, or more. Halloween costumes don’t need to be that expensive! And with these tips, you can create a unique costume for yourself that can be a showstopper while not breaking your bank!

1. Learn How to Thrift

You need a certain color shirt, but you don’t want to buy something brand new or don’t have time to sew one? Go thrifting! There are so many stores you can stop by to get second-hand clothing. There’s even the chance that your local Goodwill might have a student discount, and coupons can really help you save at other stores.

If the item you got isn’t exactly what you need, then altering is always a great option! You can alter the hems of pants and skirts if something isn’t the right length. You got a perfect colored shirt but it has long sleeves? Cutting them off is the perfect solution! Alterations can be really easy if you look at it, and there are tutorials everywhere if you look for the right things!

1. Bedazzle Your Fit

Altering doesn’t just include cutting things off or adjusting the hems of clothing. You can also add things! When I was creating my recent cosplay, I was able to use little beads and thread to put jewels onto the costume’s skirt. You can easily get craft materials for cheap at craft stores to add a little ‘bling’ to your fit!

If you’re worried about craft materials like glitter, rhinestones, or even just ribbon and paint being expensive, sign up for a membership at the store! Stores like Michaels and Jo-Ann’s offer free memberships that allow you to save the more you spend. They also have a lot of sales that they’ll send in newsletters, so keep your eyes out for deals that could help you save a few bucks.

1. Makeup and Experiment

You only have drugstore makeup? Not a problem! You don’t need 100 different makeup items to create an amazing look that goes with your costume. Get creative and use what you have! Mix eyeshadow shades and use them for more than just your eyes, use eyeliner to make different kinds of designs, and don’t be afraid to experiment. You can even try the look beforehand to see how long it’ll take you, what materials you may need, and more!

Though depending on your costume, I highly recommend being careful with makeup. Sure, some makeup looks are amazing and beautiful, and some are scary, but don’t make anything that would be offensive! Just as other cultures than your own cannot be your costume, it stands the same for makeup. Makeup looks that are offensive are just as bad as an offensive costume! Be sure to do your research if you’re not sure if a particular look is “okay” for your costume.

1. Props to Create

Your character has a guitar, but you can’t afford one? That’s okay! Spirit Halloween has a ton of different props, and no one said you can’t change how the prop looks. It might take some time and supplies like paint and craft materials, but you can make it one of a kind!

You can also make your own for fairly cheap. One of my friends is making a prop staff for his costume using a cheap dowel rod and some woodworking skills he’s been learning. Another friend is making a crystal ball out of resin and paint. If you have friends that might be able to help you, then teamwork makes it happen! Use your resources.

Halloween doesn’t have to be expensive if you want to win a costume contest. All it takes is some knowledge for bargains, a little bit of research, and time to make something amazing! Do you have a costume you’re excited for? Maybe try these skills and tips to bring your costume game up a notch!

Have a safe and happy Halloween!

Carli Christenson

Bowling Green '23

My name is Carli Christenson. I'm a third year student studying Visual Communications Technology for a specialization in photography and print. I'm an absolute nerd, and I adore musical theater. I'm also part of the LGBT+ community!