samantha gades BlIhVfXbi9s unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
samantha gades BlIhVfXbi9s unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Wellness

7 Things to Get You Through THAT Point of The Semester

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bowling Green chapter.

It’s getting to that point in the semester where every college student is struggling. We’re either sick, sleep-deprived, overwhelmed, or some unfathomably horrible combination of the three. We’ll all express this universal struggle in a different way, too. Some of us will turn into hermits, others will live in the library, and a select few will vent to friends, acquaintances, or anyone else who is willing to lend a shoulder to cry on. College is hard, and at this point, we can’t even pretend to deny it.

Here are a few reminders/thoughts to help you through the rough patch:

1. Drink some water. 

A lot of us right now have headaches, and almost nine times out of ten, these headaches are due to dehydration. It’s easy to forget to drink water because it’s the last thing on your mind right now, but you should still be doing it. Try setting alarms on your phone/watch/computer for every hour reminding you to take a sip!

2. Eat. 

This may seem like a given, but a lot of college students don’t eat breakfast. They snack at lunch and then take a nap for dinner. I know you’re tired, and I know you don’t have time to cook a full course meal but try to get at least one full meal in a day. Two is ideal, and three is amazing (for college life). 

3. Try to get some type of exercise. 

I’m not saying you have to go to the gym and PR every day. Working out in college can mean taking the long walk to class or doing subtle leg lifts while sitting in class. Don’t let yourself get stiff physically when you’re already struggling mentally. 

4. Schedule time to take a break (without the screens). 

This break could be an hour long, or less. But taking some time to sit down without a screen blasting light onto your face can be relaxing. Do a face mask or simply rest your eyes for a moment. It can make a world of difference.

5. Keep in touch with your friends and family!

You’re busy, and so are they, but take a little time to check up on them. Simply sending a text is enough, especially if you haven’t been seeing a lot of them lately. It’s always nice to have someone there for you that you know you can rely on. 

6. Remember, the semester will end!

Right now, that three-hour seminar or lab may feel like it’s ingrained into your life forever but know that it will eventually end. Yes, it may get worse before it gets better, but I promise you won’t be taking these courses for the rest of your life. 

7. Try not to compare your struggles with others (it won’t help)!

Too many of us try and one-up each other when it comes to life experiences. It’s almost impossible in college to say, “I got no sleep last night,” without someone responding with, “Well, I haven’t slept in days!” This frustrating, and you may want to lash out at that person (you may even be that person) but just know that we’re all in a similar boat right now. 

There’s a lot going on in classes and in your mind right now, but you can’t let your health be affected by it (and if you are sick right now, take care of yourself, skip class if you need to). There’s someone out there who cares deeply about how you’re doing. It could be a friend or even a professor, keep that in mind. You’re not alone in this. 

Sawyer Stippich

Bowling Green '20

Hello! My name is Sawyer Stippich, I'm a third year student at Bowling Green State University and am set to graduate in the spring of 2020. I'm majoring in Creative Writing and minoring in English Literature. You can find some of my published work in Sonder Midwest, edition #2. As always, #TalonsUp
Lindsay is a campus correspondent for Her Campus at Bowling Green State University. She is a junior at Bowling Green State University, studying Human Development and Family Studies and Creative Writing. Lindsay is an active member of Falcon Miracles, formally known as Dance Marathon and H2O Church. In her free time, she can be found on campus in the HDFS lounge, exploring Perrysburg area or sitting at her favorite spot at Flatlands in downtown Bowling Green. Lindsay has high taste in home decor, fashion, and of course, coffee.