halloween hookup horror stories?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
halloween hookup horror stories?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
MIRAMAX

7 Horror and Thriller Movies To Leave Your Head Spinning This 2023 Halloween Season

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bowling Green chapter.

From the mind of a horror movie fanatic, here are 7 horror movies that left my jaw dropped and are guaranteed to leave you checking your doors and windows at night.

1. GET OUT

Get Out follows an African-American man, Chris, as he goes to meet his white girlfriend’s family. Things begin to take a turn as he becomes more and more uncomfortable around them and starts to notice things about them and their tendencies that he doesn’t like or agree with. Things take a turn for the worse and you have to see yourself in this riveting thriller. By film producer Jordan Peele, who has come out in recent years as an amazing horror/thriller producer, Get Out is rated R and is a good movie for people who don’t want a huge scare and just a thrill.

It is currently available for streaming on Netflix and Peacock.

2. US

US, is also by film producer Jordan Peele. Us is for fans of horror and for people who generally don’t like scary movies, it’s a must watch. Coming out in 2019, Us, follows a African American family of 4 on vacation at the mothers family home. While on the trip small things keep lining up that begin to concern the mother. On their first night there, they notice a family standing in their driveway. After they make their way inside their home forcefully, they notice that the family looks exactly like them. This movie will have you glued to the TV and not wanting it to end.

Us is rated R and is available for streaming on Netflix and Peacock.

3. SCREAM

This classic horror film by director Wes Craven is nationally known. It is a film that you could re-watch and not grow tired of. While there are 6 Scream movies total, the original will always be the best. The movie follows a group of high school students that are being hunted one by one by a masked maniac who wants to run the town to hell.

Scream is rated R and is available for streaming on Max and Hulu.

4. THE SILENCE OF THE LAMBS

One of my personal favorite horror movies,The Silence of The Lambs starts off slow and then begins to rocket into one of the more intricate and riveting horror suspense movies of all time. The movie follows young FBI agent Clarice Starling, played by Jodie Foster, as she is tasked with interviewing a world-known cannibal and serial killer, Hannibal Lecter. This movie has twists and turns that no one sees coming. For fans of horror, there is some slight gore in the movie (but nothing too bad).

The movie is rated R and is available to stream on Max.

5. CORALINE

Yes, Coraline. My all-time favorite movie. Coraline is sometimes viewed as a horror movie though it is also viewed as a children’s movie. Coraline follows an 11-year-old girl as she explores her new home and finds a small door with a big secret. Later at night she crawls through the small door and finds a parallel world with the same house, the same decorations, and the same parents – except their eyes are black buttons. Coraline explores the world and begins to love it more than her true reality, but as time goes on she begins to fear what her other parents actually want with her. Coraline is a good movie for people who do not like horror movies.

It is rated PG and is available on MAX.

6. THE CONJURING SERIES

The 3 Conjuring movies are all good choices for a nice horror session. The Conjuring movies all follow Ed and Lorraine Warren and their experiences with exorcism and supernatural tendencies. All based on true stories, the conjuring movies are all good and guaranteed to have you keep a night on at night.

They are all Rated R and are available to stream on Max and Hulu.

7. SMILE

Director Parker Finn managed to take such a simple thing and make it horrifying. We see a smile as a nice gesture, but when a curse is going around it’s frightening. The movie Smile follows a mental health professional as she is faced with a patient who passes a curse onto her. She spends the movie running and trying to find a way to get rid of the curse that haunts her and the people close to her day to day.

It is Rated R and is available to stream on Amazon Prime Video and Paramount Plus.

Kyndall Griffin

Bowling Green '27

Hi! I'm Kyndall. I am currently a freshman at Bowling Green State University majoring in Media Production. I have a passion for writing, from writing scripts to writing about things going on in the world. I love music, movies, reading books and yoga.