This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bowie State chapter.

A personal boundary is the practice of openly communicating and asserting personal values as a way to preserve and protect against having your values compromised or violated. It is important to have healthy personal boundaries in your life. 

Sometimes people in your life may not always treat you fairly or respect you. The way people treat you is based on how you allow them to treat you and they will only go as far as you let them. 

A personal boundary can be put in place in every aspect of your life such as with your family and friends and at school or at work. In order to set a boundary you should first take time to define your values to yourself, then share and defend your boundaries when needed. 

It is essential to set boundaries early on when getting to know new people. For instance, setting a boundary can be as simple as telling people “I am comfortable with this…” or  “I am uncomfortable with that…”. 

When introducing a new personal boundary within an existing relationship with someone where you did not set a boundary before, it may take some time for them to get used to your new boundary. 

We all want people to accept our boundaries; however, that may not always be the case. People may say your boundaries are not necessary but people often fail to ask why you set said boundaries in the first place. 

When someone rejects your boundary it is now up to you to either stay or remove yourself from the situation. 

As time goes on, we change and learn new things. As you change, so should your boundaries. Do not let anyone tell you that your boundaries are meaningless. 

I want you to remember boundaries are not about being rude, it’s about acknowledging that your well being comes first in your priority list.

Madison Rogers

Bowie State '24

Madison is a Junior majoring in Business Administration with an Accounting concentration. In her free time, she likes to listen to music, watch podcasts on YouTube, and to write.