Finding the Balance

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bowie State chapter.

The semester is winding down and your friends want to party. You are torn and feel peer pressured into hanging out with them more than studying in the library. Your grades are decent but deep down inside you know that you are not doing your best and they could be much better.

As the clock is ticking down, the leaves are falling, and winter coats are brought from the back of the closet to the front, and the reality that fall semester is concluding is becoming more apparent. The problem is how do you stay true to the commitment of grades first fun later being a young adult without a parent, principal, or teacher watching over you?

In college the most important philosophy is to prioritize. Time management is an essential skill needed to be a successful college student and working professional. This is not a skill that will develop overnight while you slumber and dream. Time management and prioritizing is a learned skill trait that occurs after much practice.

Heed this advice, everything has a time and place. Although college is filled with memories of wild and crazy nights the one tangible memory with the most meaning will be your college degree. Do not get your priorities confused and trade study time for party time. The biggest party is the party called life and the decisions you make now will affect how long it lasts and how much fun your party will be. Study first party later!

Amanda Sutton a senior at Bowie State University majoring in Communications with an emphasis in Public Relations hails from the Washington DC metropolitan area. She recently joined the Her Campus team as a co-founder and contributing writer to the HC branch at her school. She is currently the vice president of the Public Relations Student Society of America (PRSSA) chapter at her university. Next year Amanda plans to attend law school as a double major studying Mass Communications and Business Law. She is passionate about service in the community and was honored in 2008 by receiving the National Leadership Service Award by President Barack Obama. Her concentrated area of interest in public relations is brand and image consulting and development. She is a host of creative energy and enjoys fashion, colors, writing, networking, talking to on the phone, social networking, and enjoying life.