This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bowie State chapter.

Fall time is upon us. This means pumpkin spice lattes, maple donuts, and homecoming. If you’re like me, homecoming can be a fun but intimidating time, especially for an introvert. Nonetheless, I’ve created a guide with a few tips to help fellow introverts get through this week full of fun and actually manage to have some of it.

Tip 1: Go to everything – Seriously

I know this can be an intimidating or even anxiety-inducing time, but still try to make the most of it. I personally manage to guilt myself into several events by telling myself I’ll never experience a [insert event] like this again, and it works! Plus who knows, you might make some friends or meet people who will make it all worthwhile.

Tip 2: Get your work done on time!

This should have been tip one, but it’s still as important if not more. My first day of homecoming I procrastinated, and while I had fun, I had to sleep with my guilt (and it was a lot). The next day I knocked out all of my assignments and felt a huge burden lift from my shoulders, and you could too. People aren’t joking when they say that homecoming is full of events, because it is! If you want to have the most fun guilt-free, get all your assignments done on time. Your anxiety will thank you.

Tip 3: Do something out of your comfort zone

College is a place for trying new things, homecoming is not excluded from this. Try something new! Do something that may not seem like you. When you do things that make you slightly uncomfortable, it gives you a slight ego boost that allows you to do so much more. Part of letting your guard down is doing things that actually let you.

Tip 4: Don’t be afraid to reach out to some friends

If you’re like me, you probably have expected to have tons of friends by now. The brutal truth is that’s not everyone, and that’s okay. While you may not have your friend group yet (or maybe you do!) never feel embarrassed to reach out to others and have fun. I luckily know one person who I know on campus (who I’ve been clinging to like glue) but I reached out to my dorm neighbor and we went to some hoco events together. Being an introvert can be hard, but it doesn’t always have to be.

Tip 5: Don’t be afraid to have fun by yourself

Alternatively, don’t be afraid to have fun by yourself too. Homecoming can feel a little lonely, but there are always things you can do for yourself to maximize the most out of every experience. Don’t be afraid to dance at concerts or get hype at talent shows! Even if you feel silly, it’s homecoming. You’re allowed to have fun.

All in all, homecoming can be a very overwhelming time. Between nonstop parties and events, it can feel like one huge, overly-social cloud; but this doesn’t mean you can’t make the most of it. At the end of the day, you only get to experience some things once. 

Jola is a student writer at Her Campus – Bowie State, and covers editorial and events at her chapter. She is a freshman at Bowie State University with a major in computer science.