Career > Money

5 Black Women Owned Businesses You Need to Buy from during women’s History Month

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bowie State chapter.

Appreciate black girl magic within businesses!

How do you plan on supporting black women during Women’s History Month?

Supporting black businesses can be the key to having services such as affordable healthcare. Black businesses are more likely to employ black people. Since people in the black community struggle with getting jobs, hiring more black people will increase the employment rate. 

When the employment rate is increased the economy boosts considering that more people are able to go buy goods. When the supply of goods increases, states will be able to provide various services. In the spirit of Women’s History Month, I challenge you readers to support one of the black women owned businesses featured in this article. There’s not a better time than during Women’s History Month to let our black entrepreneurs shine.

The first business on this list sells Jewelry. Dominique Renée has tons of fun necklaces, bracelets, rings, and earrings. There’s even a unique way to shop based on how you’re feeling. Just go hit the shop button to see the shop by feels option. So if you want jewelry that makes you feel yourself, you know where to go.

The next business is The Hoot owned by Tanya Newsome. The Hoot cleaners are perfect if you want to deep clean, have pets, and are looking for something natural. The cleaners come in a variety of scents for a reasonable price. If this interests you, check them out!

This next business is for all the lipstick lovers. The Lip Bar is known for having fun lipstick shades that complement various skin tones. A cool feature on their page is the virtual try on option. They sell other makeup products as well so get you some!

Black Girl Sunscreen sells various sun protection items. Their sunscreen is black girl friendly seeing that it doesn’t leave a white cast on your face after you use it. They even have sunscreen for kids. Summer will be here before you know it so why not add some Black Girl Sunscreen to your cart!

Last on the list is an allergy friendly food business called Partake. They sell cookies, pancake mix, and brownie mix. All of which are vegan, gluten-free, and free of the common allergens. This is perfect for anyone who wants to host an event and ensure that their guests with dietary restrictions are safe. 

I hope you found a business that peaked your interest. So if you’re into jewelry, beauty, or snacks…keep these businesses in mind. Thanks for reading and considering supporting these black women owned businesses!

Thalia Woods

Bowie State '26

Thalia is a full time Freshman at Bowie State University. She majors in Business Administration with a concentration in marketing. Her interests are marketing and event planning. When she's not busy with schoolwork you can find her journaling, making TikToks, or reading