This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bowie State chapter.

In honor of Women’s History Month (WHM), I’d like to shed light on a topic most everyone loves – music! Everyday we celebrate women for all the various things they do in our lives, such as inventing gps or being that extra support we needed. Here’s another thing to add to that list: Female Rappers.

Rap, which is an ever-increasing and bubbling genre, has been known to be male-dominated. Recently though, women have been taking the genre at the helm. Here are 3 ways women have changed the Rap industry. 

Revolutionized Performing

Female artists in general tend to have to do more in order to get a sliver of success as their male counterparts. This is especially true in the music industry. Male rappers can walk around a stage with a bunch of flashy lights and be crowned “Artist of the Year”, for women, it takes a little more than that.

Female rap has brought back the entertainment and showgirl-ness of music to mainstream music. Artists like Megan thee Stallion and Cardi B are not only known for the songs they rap but the shows they put on. 

Increased Sense of Unity

bdRvDfMnLiHP9 CkbrfWmf BQra5JZf Vjhj4KqNf9xOzgRBajA Wip5Ra8dcpocmgAJ9USut8dsLf mo0j eaRisb8h7wI9YQ2RJC2BxTwXqceZDmFWrhBsAtTSHRgDmGa4QbTPsuxsLKRfaD Vw

Female rap has also brought an increased sense of unity in the industry. The amount of female-collabs in the past year alone have been nothing short of inspiring (“Tomorrow 2” by GloRilla and Cardi B for example). 

Being in a male-dominated industry that can often be intimidating and likely misogynistic, female rappers have created bonds in order to have a sisterhood in the midst of all the chaos that can occur with being a woman in the music industry.

Diversity

5aVXRGgUC2d8xegH0KU4jaZztJel5dsxpKni6mASmgcMMIEKsazaF9WDwKLin50xHoGRRVeFCwezkKiuIxCAsyB7zUhbfDbSfxiS5wAg8mwUEK6hgJaqwZuntkEG Aq RaGidvHlWaZLwT25YwoXLA

One amazing way that female rappers have changed the industry was the introduction of different genres and rapping styles. Rappers like Playboi Carti and Trippie Redd can have their “vamp” eras and aesthetics, but women bring so much more to the table and continue to.

The year is 2023, who knew Ice Spice could rap over a jersey/cutesy break-beat and still make it sound good. Or Doja Cat for example. While Doja may be often criticized for her true “status” as a rapper, her versatility and diversity cannot be ignored.

Female rap has grown in a big way. Women continue to make names for themselves in their own separate ways.

This WHM, treat yourself to some girl-rap – you won’t regret it!

Jola is a student writer at Her Campus – Bowie State, and covers editorial and events at her chapter. She is a freshman at Bowie State University with a major in computer science.