(No) Dancing in the Streets: Bowdoin and the Brunswick Community

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bowdoin chapter.

It doesn’t need repeating, but Bowdoin’s relationship with the surrounding community gets complicated when alcohol is involved. Saturday night was another evening of festivities interrupted by the Brunswick Police, followed by hiding in a basement, and—as usual—walking home while trying to avoid eye contact with the uniformed policemen conveniently camouflaged among the shadows in dark driveways. While many of us are over twenty-one, some of us don’t drink, and none of us—to my knowledge—are certifiable felons, the presence of an off-campus party on our frat-free campus really gets the fuzz fired up.

Now, as spring approaches, we begin to emerge from our favorite basements, dilapidated houses, and cramped apartments to socialize on Bowdoin’s lush quads and/or the patch of grass near Farley parking lot. Once outside, we are easily visble to the police, the public, and (less likely, but maybe) the paparazzi. It’s easy to forget that the boundaries between Bowdoin and Brunswick are pretty much nonexistent. Although we enjoy fine dining and immaculate facilities, Bowdoin is not a private country club; we have a reputation to protect as students and a commitment to the community to uphold.

The Brunswick Police might interrupt a Saturday evening activity, but we should still be respectful to them and to all other local residents.  Many of us are mentors and volunteers in the community and its schools and it is important to remember our responsibility as role models even in the midst of festivities. This is not to say that Bowdoin students should not be able to have fun on the weekends; what I mean is that the Bowdoin/Brunswick line needs to be respected in order for us to be respected in return. There is no reason for antagonism between Bowdoin students and members of the community beyond our campus, but we need to keep our students off the streets (if you don’t take a shuttle, utilize the sidewalk or an obscured path!) and remember that Brunswick is not a place to do as we please, whenever we please. 

Photo credits: