How To: Handle Your Folks

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bowdoin chapter.

What is the biggest, rowdiest, drunkest, and possibly scariest weekend on campus? I bet you’re thinking what I’m thinking—Parent’s Weekend, right? 

Maybe it seems I’m crazy at this point… or that I have quite an interesting family life. Nevertheless, I think I can make the argument that, last year, the above was indeed the case.

By the masterful planning of Bowdoin College, Parent’s Weekend fell on the very eve of every college kid’s favorite holiday—Halloween. Now I hope you understand a little more about why my characterization may be accurate…

I identify with the 1% of the student population that actually enjoyed having my parents here on Halloween to relive their Animal House days and put my costume together. Unfortunately, this year the college sided with the 99% and concluded that there is something morally deficient about having your mom drive you and your friends to Crack House dressed as Disney Princesses ‘gone bad’.

This year, Parent’s Weekend will fall on the last weekend in September, giving you the freedom to fully indulge in your Halloween fun–sans parents. Instead of having your mom do your Kiss costume makeup, you’re going to have to think of some other things to do with your parents for entertainment.

Thus, I have come up with a little ‘How to Guide’ to entertaining your folks:

1. Popham Beach
Take your parents on the scenic drive to Popham, one of the most beautiful beaches in Maine (in my opinion). The weather will still be nice and they will inevitably enjoy the white sand and expansive beach walk.

2. Simpson’s Point
Another hidden gem of Maine: Simpson’s Point is just down the road. If you’re feeling adventurous, go on a walk or a bike ride to this beautiful ocean side location.

3. Freeport Shopping
If you need to get those Bean Boots before the rainy season kicks into gear, convince mom and dad to take you shopping in Freeport. 

4. Ogunquit Lobsters and Salt Water Taffy
Take the drive down to Ogunquit and stop at Barnacle Billy’s Restaurant. You might run into the entire Bush family, who frequents this lobster lover’s heaven! (I did). Also make sure to stop at the nearby candy store which makes unforgettable salt-water taffy and maple candy!

5. Portland Dining
Portland is becoming Maine’s very own New York City in terms of its dining. Hosting some of the best restaurants in the country, a dinner here with your parents is a must! For lovers of seafood try Street and Co. Restaurant, located amongst the historic cobble stone back streets of the Old Port. Other top restaurants include Walters, Five-Fifty Five and Fore Street, among many more.

For less fancy (but equally fun options) try Duck Fat—known for their amazing shakes, or Otto Pizza, where you can try anything from a slice of cheese pizza, to butternut squash, ricotta and cranberry pizza!

6. Bowdoin Art Museum
Believe it or not, the Bowdoin Museum of Art is one of the best college art museums in the nation. Take your parents to the newest exhibit entitled, ‘Hello Nature.’ It features over 100 Maine-centric photographs, videos, paintings, and drawings.

7. Mae’s Cafe
If you want a phenomenal brunch, look no further than Bath and hit up Mae’s Cafe. The omelets are unbelievable and the atmosphere is homey and relaxing.

8. Bath Iron Works and Maine Maritime Museum
Maine has an incredibly rich maritime history. After a brunch at Mae’s, take a trip down the road to these historic Maine locations. You’ll learn all about Maine’s historical and continued role in both regional and global ship building.

9. A Capella and Dance Shows
If your parents enjoy a good show, take them to see Obvious, Vague, and other dance groups perform alongside some of our phenomenal A Capella sensations. All have Parent’s Weekend shows that are sure to please a crowd.

10. Go to a Game!
What better way to show your parents the spirit of Bowdoin then to take them to a sporting event. Field hockey, men’s and women’s soccer, football and volleyball all have Saturday home games!
Hopefully, with these tips, you’ll have a few new ideas of how to entertain your parents, and have some fun yourself. Bowdoin and Maine have so much to offer for all types of people.
Show your parents and family why Bowdoin is such a wonderful place!

Photo Sources:
Traveltips.usatoday.com
Wikimedia Commons
candacedwan.com 

Marissa is a senior at Bowdoin College, majoring in Government and minoring in English. She's interned with NPR, The Christian Science Monitor and ELLE.com. In her spare time she enjoys writing poetry, baking cupcakes, tweeting, and admiring the big dipper. She hopes to live in a lighthouse someday, with 27 cats and a good set of watercolors.