How to Approach Your Crush at the Gym

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bowdoin chapter.

The snow has not yet melted, and a trip from your cozy dorm to the Buck Center can be tedious – especially if you decide to brave the icy paths in your Nikes instead of your go-to Bean Boots. This can be especially problematic for those of us whose list of New Year’s resolutions included pledges to exercise more. However, the freezing journey is even more gratifying when you know without a doubt that your athlete crush will be there, too! Ah, yes – that athletic cutie who exercises religiously and who, until now, you have been too shy to approach. Hopefully, the following tips will help you get rid of your bashfulness and pluck up the courage to talk to that sporty crush of yours. Put on your sneakers, ladies, because today you will be running… into your crush!

1. Work out next to him or her What better way to make a connection with someone than to share workout space, right? I’m not just talking about being on the same floor as your crush. I’m talking about being on the rowing machine or treadmill right next to him or her. Sure, it can be a little weird choosing a machine that is in his or her immediate vicinity when all the other machines are empty, but it’s a great way to signal your interest. Doing so creates an opportunity to make some kind of connection. Small talk? Eye contact? The possibilities are endless. 

2. Let’s get physical! No, I am not referring to Olivia Newton-John’s 1981 hit single (although it is a great workout song)! Asking your crush to help you with your fitness goals is a great way to initiate a conversation. If your interactions with this person have mainly consisted of infrequent eye contact, try asking him or her to help you perfect your push-up or deadlift form. Alternatively, if you have a bit more history with your crush, casually mention the idea of being workout buddies. After all, it takes two to tango! He or she could become your running buddy or help you weightlift. With your crush as a consistent workout buddy, you’ll be able to stay fit and build a relationship.

3. A compliment goes a long way Sometimes it is necessary to be a little more daring than usual. Flirting with your crush in the gym is one of those times. Compliments as simple as, “Wow, you look really good!” or, “I really admire your endurance!” are great ways to show your crush that you appreciate his or her athleticism. A compliment will definitely catch his or her attention in a good way. Who knows? You might just get a compliment in return!

4. If all else fails, admire from afarIf you still have reservations about approaching Mr. or Ms. Athletic-Pants, you can always resort to checking them out from afar and secretly hoping that a flirty session of eye contact might ensue. Hopefully, they’ll be able to take a hint!

Kylie is a junior neuroscience major at Bowdoin College. When she’s not writing or editing pieces for Her Campus, you can find her playing with animals at the local animal shelter, tripping over tree roots on her daily run, or re-reading her favorite literary trilogies. She's currently obsessed with burgundy pedicures, Laini Taylor novels, Fly Art hoodies, and french fries.