Chris Genco ’15

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bowdoin chapter.

Major: music and governmentHometown: Madison, ConnecticutCampus Activities: Track and Field, BOKA (a co-ed a capella group), violinist in the Bowdoin College Orchestra, member of a string quartet, and Curtain Callers (a musical theater group)

Chris’s constant positive attitude and warm heart not only make him a great teammate, but also a great friend! Chris can always make you feel better, no matter how stressed or sad you are! He has a huge presence at Bowdoin – you may see him on the track, on the stage performing with BOKA, or playing in the orchestra.

HC: What would you say is your favorite kind of music?CG: “I think that I have two sets of favorite music. Because I’m a violinist, I love listening to string quartets and symphonies and stuff like that. But I also love all the pop stuff I experience in a capella and musical theater.”

HC: What is a string quartet that you love? CG: “I’m actually doing an independent study on the sixteen Beethoven string quartets, and I think my favorite is Beethoven’s Tenth String Quartet.”

HC: What do you hope to do after Bowdoin?CG: “I’m hoping to get into classical music production management. I’ve been applying to a couple of the big concert halls in New York and a couple of classical music public relations and management firms. So the dream is to go to New York and work in classical music in some [capacity].”

HC: Would you want to play classical music at all, or are you determined to work more on the management side?CG: “I want to play recreationally. I didn’t go to conservatory [a college for the study of classical music], so it’s hard [for me] to get into a professional orchestra after college. But I definitely want to be involved on some level.”

HC: Do you wish you had gone to a conservatory?CG: “Sometimes I definitely wish I went to a conservatory, but other times I realize that a lot of people that do go to conservatory lose their love for music and get burnt out after eight hours of practicing every day. So I’m pretty happy with my decision. I have too many interests to just go to conservatory and focus on one thing.”

HC: How do you balance all your interests and activities?CG: “[I have] no free time and [I don’t do] much of my homework!”

HC: What advice would you give to anyone who wants to get to know you better?CG: “Just approach me! I’m easy to talk to, I like meeting new people. I think I’d like to talk to anyone.”

I'm Ana Timoney-Gomez, Bowdoin Class of 2018. I'm originally from Morningside Heights, NY, but my family and I currently live in Westchester, NY. I run track and field for Bowdoin, and compete in the hurdles. I want to potentially major in History, but I have not declared, so it's open to change. When I'm not writing for Her Campus you can catch me in the Stacks doing homework, or watching Scandal in my common room, I'm still a season behind though.