Bowdoin Style Beyond the Bean Boots: What to Pack for a Chic Spring Break

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bowdoin chapter.

A much-needed spring break is just around the corner, however most of us don’t even have time to daydream about our short hiatus because we are drowning in work. How are you supposed take the time to pack efficiently, when you are having difficulty fitting in six hours of sleep? Hopefully a quick re-cap of what’s in for spring will help you prepare for your spring break trip. Wherever you may be heading.

Heading Off to the Beach

I am overly excited about spring/summer fashions after being stranded in the dreary winter tundra for what feels like eternity, but I promise not to go on forever since not everyone is heading to warm SB destinations. However, for those of you getting ready to soak up the sun I’ve got you covered on the current trends to keep in mind while you pack!

Yigal Azrouël, Bianca Jagger, Chris Benz

First and foremost, white is the color most frequented on the runway for Spring 2011 – everything from bathing suits to modern sportswear. ‘70s inspired styles, sheer fabrics, and loose-fitting shapes have also infiltrated many spring collections. Such trends make looking fantastic and being comfortable entirely possible. If you are looking to mix it up, mismatched prints and vibrant colors (especially those in the citrus family) are a must.

Hold on to:

• Military inspired items
  • Cat-eye sunglasses
  • Lace/Sheer apparel
  • Neutral tones

For me, over-packing is always an issue, so try looking for items that you can wear for multiple occasions. For example, this Kensie loose knit sweater could be worn as a sexy cover up at the beach and it could also work with a tank top, jeans and some heels for an evening out.

Even if you aren’t hitting the beach over break, be the first of your friends to ease some of the S/S 2011 trends into your wardrobe!

Visiting a friend at a party school

“Party school” suggests you will be having a lot of nights out, but packing your most cherished going out apparel may not be the best idea. Why? Because dry cleaning is expensive! And the likelihood that nobody will spill a drink on you is slim to none. Solution: bring more basic clothing and stock up on fun accessories!

Staple items:

• White/black/neutral colored tank tops – you can pair these with anything, especially fun statement pieces such as these Fallon bangles
  • Bandage skirt – also in a neutral color so you can mix and match it with different tops
  • Cotton/machine washable LBD… American Apparel has some great options
  • A pair or two of killer heels
  • Leggings and other lounge wear – for those days when you just won’t get off the couch

Hitting the Ski Slopes

Although the slopes may not be the best place to assert your sense of style, that doesn’t mean you can’t be fashionable après skiing. Similar to any winter-style tips, be sure to bring lots of layering apparel – tank tops, sweaters, vests…you get the gist. You will probably heat up easily when you move indoors, and being able to remove a layer or two is much more comfortable than overheating. Again, I would recommend bringing neutral colors, that way you can effortlessly create various outfits without paying $100 for an overweight bag.

Furthermore, get yourself a pair of Plush fleece lined tights – that way the cold weather won’t hinder you from wearing your favorite skirts or dresses. If you are still a little chilly, try pulling on a pair of thigh-high wool socks as well.

If I were going on a ski-vacation, I’d look to Dolce & Gabbana’s FW 2010 line for inspiration. These looks on the runway may seem outlandish, but couldn’t you visualize sporting some silk shorts with fleece-lined tights, a cozy sweater or blouse, and boots? Or maybe a belted sweater dress with fur accessories?

Jetsetting for a Euro-trip

If you will be travelling in Europe over break, be sure to keep the S/S 2011 trends I mentioned above in mind. The popular loose fitting attire will serve you well, whether you are spending the day roaming the streets of Amsterdam or sitting on a train to Paris. I would definitely suggest bringing a cotton tunic-like shirt (or two), especially for long travel days. Wilt is a great brand if you are looking for this style.

For days when you aren’t travelling and want to pull off that European-chic style, channeling the ‘70s with sophisticated trousers or girly blouses would certainly be appropriate. You may notice that Europeans in general seem to be more “dressed up” than your average American, so don’t hesitate to wear something like a lace skirt or dress (like Olivia Palermo pictured on the above right), which can be toned down with simple accessories.

If you are anything like me, packing for this type of trip can be challenging since you will be tempted to bring everything. I find that mapping out your outfits before stuffing your suitcase with your favorite items makes over-packing less likely.

Acne, Natasha Poly in Miu Miu, Jason Wu

If you plan on doing a little shopping for your trip, stores like top shop and asos.com are usually up on their trend-game and will have many of the S/S 2011 looks for reasonable prices. Also be sure to check out American Apparel, they have awesome ‘70s inspired attire as well as an endless array of sheer and lace apparel options. And if you’re lucky enough to be travelling in Europe, don’t shy away from shopping at Zara because “we have it in the states” – I find that Zara in Europe is MUCH better than in the States.

Happy travels!

Joanna Buffum is a senior English major and Anthropology minor at Bowdoin College in Brunswick, Maine.  She is from Morristown, NJ and in the summer of 2009 she was an advertising intern for OK! Magazine and the editorial blog intern for Zagat Survey in New York City. This past summer she was an editorial intern for MTV World's music website called MTV Iggy, writing fun things like album and concert reviews for bands you have never heard of before. Her favorite books are basically anything involving fantasy fiction, especially the Harry Potter series and “Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell” by Susanna Clarke. In her free time she enjoys snowboarding, playing intramural field hockey, watching House MD, and making paninis. In the spring of 2010 she studied abroad in Copenhagen, Denmark, and she misses the friendly, tall, and unusually attractive Danish people more than she can say. After college, she plans on pursuing a career in writing, but it can be anywhere from television script writing, to magazine journalism, to book publishing.