Bowdoin Style Beyond the Bean Boots: Is It Winter or Spring?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bowdoin chapter.

Spring has not sprung, but that doesn’t mean your spring wardrobe has to suffer…

Twelve inches of snow accumulation the first week back from spring break seems like a paradox, but not at schools like Bowdoin located in the tundra – a not-so sparkling winter wonderland from Thanksgiving to Easter holidays. Not only are our moods negatively affected by this weather (SAD = Seasonal Affective Disorder), but our wardrobes are as well.

It is incredibly irritating to realize that the flouncy skirts, bright colors, and summer sandals that you brought back in anticipation of warmer days up north will not be seeing the sun any time soon. Instead you have found yourself searching for those bean boots and regretting the fact that you left your warmest winter coat at home with the assumption that you wouldn’t need it in April. Miserable weather aside, I am feeling rather optimistic about this spring and I think that incorporating fresh, new spring attire with cold weather necessities will help to cure the winter blues.

The drawn out winter to spring wardrobe shift is a little trickier than the transition from summer to fall, but tights and layers will continue to be your best friend. Tights can be paired with jean shorts, fun skirts, or dresses that you might normally save for a beach day in June. I would suggest making this change gradual. While I am a big fan of pastels and fluorescent items, it is important to keep in mind that overdoing it with these color tones when there is still snow on the ground could be a little ridiculous. You want your new spring clothes to pop, not to get lost among competing items! So, pair something spring, like a flower print camisole, with dark high-waisted jeans and a neutral colored sweater, or try your favorite pair of jean shorts with tights, boots and a sweater or not-so-summery top.

Like I said earlier, tights are key to bringing these transition outfits together, and they can also add a little flare. If you’re struggling with this concept take notice of Ruthie Davis, luxury shoe designer and fabulous fashionista. She is a Palm Springs girl at heart, but the chilly or unpredictable weather in NYC hasn’t stopped her. She always looks fantastic and is often sporting various styles of tights and her own Ruthie Davis® heels to complement mini skirts and shorts. Check her out at www.ruthiedavis.com or on her blog ruthiedavis.blogspot.com.

Another great transition trend is pairing socks with heeled mary janes or sandals; this way you can keep your feet warm while showing off your favorite spring/summer kicks. Hanneli Mustaparta, Norwegian model turned street-style blogger (http://www.hanneli.com/), owns this look (below) in a pair of Acne “Agate” sandals, Helmut Lang shorts and jersey jacket. Mustaparta is again, perfectly dressed for a spring day in a knee-length Zara skirt, a transition-appropriate Vlad sweater, and Whyred boots. Each of these outfits are great inspiration for the winter to spring change-over as they can both be worn with bare legs or tights.

Finally, when the weather gets warm enough try pairing your favorite spring/summer sneakers and flats with tapered pants or ankle-length jeans. This is one of my favorite transition looks!

Images:

Emma Watson in teen vogue

Polyvore set by Kelly Kopchik

Ruthie Davis images from her blog ruthiedavis.blogspot.com

Hanneli Mustaparta from www.hanneli.com

Joanna Buffum is a senior English major and Anthropology minor at Bowdoin College in Brunswick, Maine.  She is from Morristown, NJ and in the summer of 2009 she was an advertising intern for OK! Magazine and the editorial blog intern for Zagat Survey in New York City. This past summer she was an editorial intern for MTV World's music website called MTV Iggy, writing fun things like album and concert reviews for bands you have never heard of before. Her favorite books are basically anything involving fantasy fiction, especially the Harry Potter series and “Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell” by Susanna Clarke. In her free time she enjoys snowboarding, playing intramural field hockey, watching House MD, and making paninis. In the spring of 2010 she studied abroad in Copenhagen, Denmark, and she misses the friendly, tall, and unusually attractive Danish people more than she can say. After college, she plans on pursuing a career in writing, but it can be anywhere from television script writing, to magazine journalism, to book publishing.