Bowdoin Style Beyond the Bean Boots: Don’t Let the Gym Get You Down! Ways to Look Cute after Working Out

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bowdoin chapter.

As busy college women, exercise is usually something we all try to include in our days. Some class schedules make it easy to fit in a workout and spruce up for that econ class filled with campus cuties. However, a more sporadic schedule can make looking put together for class post-gym a little bit stressful…

I will never forget my freshman year; I had between 10 AM and 11:30 AM to get my workouts out of the way so I could be more productive in the evenings. One day, a senior boy on the hockey team made a comment about my sweaty appearance on my way to class at 11:30 AM. Needless to say, that was the last time I worked out in between classes that semester. I ended up wasting valuable time later in the day getting those workouts in, walking home, showering and finally getting myself together to spend all night at the library.

Since then I have learned that showing up for class still sweating (in my case) with frizzy hair and flushed cheeks while also sporting sweatpants, tennis shoes and a fleece is perfectly acceptable and sometimes unavoidable. However, I have also learned that you don’t have to sacrifice your time or look in order to fit a workout into your busy schedule.

Although it’s impossible to be as gorgeous as Daria “working out” in Vogue’s 2009 shape issue, her relaxed look above is easy to achieve with these post-workout tips!

First thing’s first, GET A LOCKER! Bowdoin’s fitness center (and almost every gym I’ve ever been to) has a locker room waiting for you to register for a lock. Next time you’re passing by the fitness center take a trip up to the 2nd floor and register at the front desk. Be sure to keep an extra set of essential toiletries in your locker if you can – especially a towel, face wash, dry shampoo, a mini blow dryer and cover-up/mineral powder. I might also suggest keeping a few days worth of workout clothes and your sneakers there, that way you don’t have to carry another bag around campus all day. Furthermore, eliminate the time you’d spend traveling to your respective dorm/house/apartment and shower in the locker room. I promise you won’t get athlete’s foot, just be sure to wear flip-flops!

Before you get your heart rate up, think about your hairstyle. If you are going to have an intense workout try keeping your hair in a bun, that way your locks will stay off your neck and won’t get too sweaty. If you have longer hair, or plan on taking your hair down after your workout, a braided bun will create soft waves that even a flat iron couldn’t make! If you’re worried about sweaty or greasy hair post-workout grab some dry shampoo for your roots and that mini-blow dryer for any sweaty flyaway hairs –you’ll be pleased with the results. If you simply don’t have the time or your hair can’t be salvaged, redo your bun. The ballerina look is classy!

Light makeup. Avoid clogging your pores and wipe any makeup off before exercising. Try Purity Made Simple™ One-Step Facial Cleansing Clothson your way to the treadmill to quickly remove any makeup, excess dirt, and oil from your face. Afterwards, reduce redness, blotches and oil by splashing your face with cold water and applying mineral powder. I would recommend getting Bobbi Brown’s Creamy Concealer Kit– it contains cover up and mineral powder all in one small compact. Skip the blush and bronzer application and get to class – you will likely be flushed from exercising and won’t need it anyways!

Finally – what to wear? During this quick transition from gym to class you won’t have time to think about, or even put on, an overly complicated outfit, so keep it simple. In the winter you can’t really go wrong with a pair of leggings, boots, and your favorite oversized sweater – this type of outfit is quick, easy and doesn’t compromise your style entirely. For more advice on easy yet stylish outfits check out a previous article, Bowdoin Style Beyond the Bean Boots: How to do Comfy Chic During Midterms.  

Image 1: Daria Werbowy,editorial shot by mert & marcus, Vogue April 2009
Image 2: Daria Werbowy, http://darialogist.wordpress.com
Image 3: by Kelly Kopchik via Polyvore