Festivals for Free: The Green Pass for You to Attend this Summer’s Hottest Music Festivals

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bournemouth chapter.

As a full-time student, it isn’t always easy to combine disciplined studies with the commitment to a part-time job or the fun social life every student wants to have in their 20s. But at the end of the school year, spring often tends to jump into summer very suddenly and you’ve barely got time to catch a breath before everyone shoots off to his or her seasonal occupations.

As it turns out, there is more than one way to earn a free entry into the biggest festivals and clubbing holidays without having to do anything too time-consuming during the school term. We reached out to a few of the biggest groups that play the intermediate between students and festivals to find out more:

The Physical Network is one of these organisations in charge of finding student ambassadors for UK and European festivals. The nominated students then promote the festival and sell tickets to their friends. If they reach the quota of four to eight tickets sold, they earn themselves a free ticket. The more the ambassador sells, the more exclusive rewards he or she receives, including VIP camping/showers, drink tokens, backstage passes and artist meet and greets. TPN Representative Michelle Wood said, “This is the opportunity for any student to be part of one of the UK’s largest groups of influential individuals.”

Maddy Payne, student at University College London, was employed through Oxfam to do on-site voluntary work at Boomtown and Bestival. Her responsibilities included giving directions as a stewardess to punters, being on campsite watch or controlling the backstage access for only three eight-hour shifts. She also had the chance to see a lot of acts.

“I really enjoyed it,” she said. “The best part is that you meet loads of great people because you have a separate campsite from the punters with free tea and coffee and also stations to charge your phone, which is pretty nice.”

Another possibility is to work behind the bar at a festival like Bruno Mackenzie, a student at Bristol UWE. He admitted to having a great experience at Greenland Festival in Whales.

“I received a free ticket as well as free drinks during the entire festival in exchange for working a 5 to 11 p.m. shift every night,” he said.

Whether you prefer to serve drinks like Bruno, promote within your social circle or volunteer in exchange for a ticket, there is really no excuse for you not to make it to your favourite festivals this summer. Enjoy!

President and Editor-In-Chief at Her Campus Bournemouth.