This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Boise State chapter.

We all know Spring Break is hyped up to be the best vacation you will never remember, especially as a college student. I mean… a week off school, surrounded by friends, partying down… sounds kind of awesome, right? But not everyone can just jet off to Cabo or Miami. However, you’re not necessarily condemned to a staycation (not that there’s anything wrong with that). Fortunately, there are some destinations that are closer to Boise, more affordable, and just as fun.

1) Seattle, WA.

If you’re willing to make the nearly 8 1/2 hour drive, Seattle offers many exciting sites! Of course, Seattle is famously known for the Space Needle overlooking the city (HC hint: this view makes for some awesome Instagram pics!). However, this lively city also offers attractions such as Pikes Place Market and museums, like Chihuly Garden and Glass. Love Starbucks? Of course you do, you’re a college student! Seattle is home to the world’s first Starbucks, aka the glorious place responsible for keeping us alive during those long, late night study crams. 

Distance: approx. 504 miles and 8 hours, 24 mins driving.  

2) Portland, OR.

This trendy and hipster city has quite a bit to offer a collegiette with the travel bug. Explore your artsy, creative side with Portland’s Saturday Market. Check out the local artist-made crafts and gifts for a one-of-a-kind shopping experience. And attentionall readers… Powell’s City of Books is calling your name! Partiers– Portland’s nightlife has a super chic and trendy atmosphere that will surely exceed your expectations, Mississippi Studios is an awesome venue for live music…and drinks. Speaking of which… like beer? Beer Quest PDX offers beer tours and pub-crawls for a whole ‘nother way to see the city. Gotta “taste” what Portland has to offer, right?! Portland also offers something for nature lovers. The Colombia River Gorge National Scenic Area contains breathtaking views of waterfalls and panoramic views! Also, great Instagram pics!

Distance: approx. 431 miles and a little over 7 hours driving.

3) Salt Lake City, UT

Gorgeous SLC is an awesome vacation destination as well. For those looking for some relaxation, The Kura Door and Mirage Day Spa are excellent places to rejuvenate…especially with finals around the corner! If you are looking at doing a little retail therapy, the City Creek Center is the place to be. It’s hard NOT to love this mall, with its zillions of shops and gorgeous architecture. SLC also offers scenic views of Mill Creek Canyon. You can also take to the air for an even better look. The Skywalker Balloon Company offers hot air balloon rides overlooking SLC’s beautiful scenery.

Distance: approx. 339 miles and nearly 5 ½ hours driving.

I know what you’re thinking. The trips we just described are a bit of a drive. So… here are a couple destinations even CLOSER to Boise for a super easy, but still adventurous, Spring Break. 

4) Sun Valley — Ketchum, ID

Ahh, Sun Valley… Idaho’s resort destination for the rich and famous! But for collegiettes, Sun Valley also offers a wide range of activities from day to night. The Bald Mountain Trail offers some amazing hiking and scenic views during the day. Afterwards, check out Easley Hot Springs in Ketchum– the economic way to pamper yourself. Or, experience Sun Valley’s nightlife and unwind at Whiskey Jaques or Duchin Lounge. Want to really get out on the edge? Why not fly Sun Valley on a paraglide tandem flight/ride?! YOLO, am I right? 

Distance: approx. 154 miles and 2 hours, 45 mins driving.

5) McCall, ID

Yes, McCall is a bit chilly this time of the year for Spring Break, however; the resort town still offers a lot of Spring Break-esque activities. Nature lovers: you will love Loon Lake Loop for a hike/walk. Explore Ponderosa State Park to fully imerse yourself in nature. For the artistic folks, McCall Pottery Center is for you! And of course, for a peaceful and picturesque spiritual respite, check out The Cove Spa and Unwind Body Spa. Love ice cream? (Obvi, who doesn’t…) Ice Cream Alley is a cute, quirky, and yummy place that you don’t want to pass up on your visit.

Distance: Approx. 108 miles and a little over 2 hours driving.

Hi! I am Courtney :)Originally from California, I came to Boise to seek a new journey in a completely different city. I am currently a Junior and Communications major here at Boise State University...GO BRONCOS! I have a huge intrest and passion in fashion and traveling. Currently, I work as a bridal constultant at Chic Bridal Boutique and absolutely adore my job!