Take A Break; Quick Ways to Step Away from Finals Prep

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Boise State chapter.

It’s that time of year again…

You’re stressed. You’re overwhelmed. You’re exhausted, and you just can’t take it anymore. You need a break, but you also know that if you stop and turn on Netflix it’s just going to turn into a binge session and then nothing will get done and then you’ll fail your final, which will lead to you failing the class, which will lead to you losing your funding and only being able to get a minimum wage job AND OH MY GOD YOU’RE A FAILURE AT LIFE!!!!!…..

Breathe. Take a step away from the mess. We here at Her Campus Boise State are here to help, and we’ve been there. Here are a few things you can do that have a time limit of sorts so that you can go right back to doing what you need to do and make those finals your bitch.

1. Give Yourself a Mani/Pedi

One of the absolute best discoveries I made for recovery from my stress levels was the magical brain reset that is giving myself a mani/pedi. The reasoning is this: it made me take a step back and really focus on something else (i.e. not making a mess of my skin or carpet), so when I went back to studying I was able to come at my work from a fresh angle. So grab the polish and toe separators and have at it!

2. Grab a Coffee

Taking an hour to have a study break with a friend and meet up at your favorite coffee shop is AMAZING in terms of refreshing both of you. It gives you a chance to do some serious venting, have some face-to-face interaction and get away from the black-hole that is finals prep. Added bonus: CAFFEINE!

3. Make a Snack

FOOD. It is SO incredibly important to stay fueled during finals! As tempting as junk food is, think healthy: a fruit for natural sugar and a protein is a great go to. Grab a yogurt, some fruit and a handful of granola and make a mini parfait; sweet, tasty and healthy! Your body and mind will thank you.

4. Take a Bath

I personally LOVE bubble baths. When life gets hard, it’s great to go sink into a tub full of warm, soapy water and just soak away the stress. Grab some essential oils, your iPod and a loofa and was away the hell that is the end of the semester…the steam helps clean your pores and you’ll come out feeling clean and refreshed, ready to conquer the end of the semester.

5. Have a Jam Session

When you’re overwhelmed, there’s nothing better than being absolutely ridiculous. My favorite way to do this? Blast some tunes, sing at an obnoxious volume and dance like no one is watching. When I do this, I usually go with Broadway pieces or what I call “Angry Girl Music” (Alanis Morissette, anyone?). Lately, I have been OBSESSED with the soundtrack for “Hamilton.” If you haven’t yet, check it out!

Now that you’ve had your break, get out there and dominate! You’re ready for finals, and you’re going to own them!

Dakota Brown

Boise State

Dakota Brown is our Managing Editor here at Her Campus Boise State! She loves all things literature; an avid reader who also writes whenever possible, she aspires to having a future in publications editing. In her free time (aside from reading and writing), Dakota can be found drinking copious amounts of coffee, baking, and spending quality time with her dog, Kili, and her hedgehog, Lily.