Miss Treasure Valley America 2016: Katarina Schweitzer

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Boise State chapter.

Name: Katarina Schweitzer Hometown: San Diego, CA Relationship Status: OFF the Market Graduation Year: 2016

Tell us a little about yourself: “I am a sports fanatic, and love country music! I have a Black lab named Lilly! I am studying Relational and Organizational Communication and work as an Audio Visual Tech, and a Stylist at Margene’s Bridal! I am also one of 96.9 The Eagle Rock Girls. I want to be a Speech and Language Pathologist!”

For those of us with no pageant experience, what is it like competing in the different systems? What is the difference between the various experiences? “There are three main differences in the systems I compete in. One being that the Miss America system does talent as a portion of the competition that is worth 35% of your score whereas the Miss USA system does not have a talent section in the competition. The second being that the Miss America system is known for providing more than $45 million in scholarships to young women each year. Lastly, Miss USA is a facet of Miss Universe which means that if you become Miss USA you get to go on to compete more, whereas in the Miss America system, the competition stops there.

Do you have a favorite system or section of competition? “I don’t have a favorite system. Each has given me so many opportunities to serve the community and become the young woman I am today! If I had to pick a section I liked competing in it would have to be lifestyle and fitness/swimsuit! I just feel so empowered and confident! Plus staying fit is hard work so show it off!”

Other than pageantry, what other community involvement do you have at Boise State? “On Boise State’s campus I am a part of the Epsilon Nu Chapter of Alpha Chi Omega! Our sorority focuses on sisterhood and philanthropy. Supporting and raising awareness for victims of Domestic Violence is our main focus, and we work closely with the Women’s and Children’s Alliance in Boise. Last year I helped orchestrate our chapter in raising over $9,000 to give to the WCA. Outside of school I am an avid Military supporter and upon graduating from Boise State I will proudly serve our country as a Naval Officer. As Miss Treasure Valley, my platform –or cause I focus on—is Operation Support Our Troops which focuses on helping active military members, veterans, and their families in any way possible! Show your support by using the hashtag #operationsupportourtroops!

Communications Major with an Emphasis in Journalism but really just a small town girl with big city dreams. I desire to travel, create things, and fall hopelessly in love with people I've never met and places I've never seen.