Melinda Smith: Humanitarian (and Cat Lover)

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Boise State chapter.

Quick Facts

Name: Melinda Smith.

Age: 20.

Hometown: Parker, Colorado.

Favorite Disney movie: Frozen.

Major: Communications with a Public Relations Certificate.

Her Campus Boise State: Hi Melinda! Her Campus is so excited to have this interview with you. Let’s get things started. First, tell me about your dream job!

Melinda Smith: I have two main dream jobs. The first one is working for a public relations firm that travels internationally OR I would love to do public relations for the Ritz Carilton.

HC: Those jobs sound absolutely wonderful. Maybe you could get me HC a discount at the Ritz sometime in the near future??? Just kidding… (but really). Next question: what are you involved with on campus here at Boise State?

MS: I am involved with my sorority Alpha Xi Delta, Public Relations Student Socity of America, Blue House PR Firm and I have an internship with a nonprofit in town called Neighborhood Housing Services. We put on events such as Rake Up Boise and Paint the Town Boise.

HC: Sounds like you keep busy! How do you manage your time efficently?

MS: I really try and priortize things by their due dates. I am fortuante to be able to mutlitask and I also dedicate my Sundays to getting homework done.

HC: Yes, that definitely can help to relieve a lot of stress. My next question is do you have a favorite hangout spot on campus?

MS: I don’t really have a favorite hang out, but what I am going to tell you is super random… I do really like the bathroom in the SUB downstairs by the bookstore. The mosaic walls are so colorful and awesome! Ah. People should defintely check them out if they haven’t already done so.

HC: That is so funny, Melinda. I know exactly what you are talking about. Everyone should have a favorite campus bathroom. Let’s move on to your havorite hobbies.

MS: I LOVE MY CATS. I also love to eat, sometimes workout, ride my bike and hang out with friends.

HC: Now that you mention it, you do seem like a cat person. Those sound like some fun hobbies. Do you have a favorite quote by chance?

MS: I do, actually. In my work with nonprofits I stumbled upon this quote: “no one ever goes broke by giving.” This quote really puts things into perspective for me. Everytime I see a homeless person around town, I stop and give them something. Just the other day I handed a homeless man my umbrella.

HC: That is really sweet of you Melinda. I think that is a great quote. My last question is: if you could give incoming freshmen  any single piece of advice, what would it be?

MS: I would tell them to live in Chaffee because I hear that’s where the REAL college experience is.

HC: Thanks so much for your time Melinda! Good luck with the rest of your semester. Stay tuned for next week’s campus celeb! 

Boise State Student. Communications and Public Relations major with a minor in History. Member of Boise State PRSSA and intern for Treefort Music Festival. Writer for Her Campus and part time preschool teacher assistant.