International Women’s Day: Three Women to Celebrate!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Boise State chapter.

We all have some awesome ladies in our lives. It could be your mom, who worked so hard to raise you and give you the life she knew you deserved. Or maybe it is your best friend, who is always there for you on the rollercoaster of life. From the teachers and professors who work tirelessly to teach their students to the perky barista at your favorite coffee shop, there so many great women who deserve a big thank you for their work, devotion, and passion.

But how many women feel inadequate or inferior because of their race, their body type, or their orientation? How many women feel the struggle of not being the “ideal” woman by today’s standards?

Luckily, there are so many awesome women today who are working hard to make women feel empowered and strong, no matter who they are. It is a beautiful thing when women support women! Today is International Women’s Day, a day for celebrating the awesome women out there who are working hard to make this world a better place to be. I want to celebrate IWD by highlighting three young women who are working hard to make women feel like they have the power to make a difference.

Amandla Stenberg

Actor and activist, Amandla Stenberg has made her voice heard as a both a woman of color and as a member of the LGBT+ community. The Hunger Game actress posted a video entitled “Don’t Cash Crop On My Cornrows” where she speaks about cultural appropriation in today’s culture and how damaging it is to the people who identify with that culture and who have overcame adversity. She also was featured in Teen Vogue where she discusses owning her identity instead of trying to fill the role of someone who she is not. She is an amazing young woman who is definitely an inspiration, proving that you definitely do not have to pretend to be someone you are not. Your hair, your skin, and your culture are not something to hide–they are things to celebrate. These things make you who you are, and that is nothing to be ashamed of. Amandla does an awesome job of being herself, and owning who she is.

Stef Sanjati

Toronto YouTuber Stef Sanjati came out as transgender in 2015, and since then has been sharing her story of her transition, her experiences, and her life. She speaks out about the transgender community and the struggles that go along with it. In a world that still has a gender gap, it seems as if there is no place for transgender women. Stef faces the adversity and reassures young trans men and women that there is hope. She smashes transgender stereotypes to pieces and proves that the key to happiness is to be yourself. She is an amazing advocate for transwomen, and on IWD, it is important to celebrate all women!

Loey Lane

Texas based model Loey Lane shows that being plus sized is not something to be ashamed of. She posts videos on her YouTube channel that discuss eating disorders, body acceptance and body positivity. She brings to light the harmful effects that “fat shaming” has on women, and shares her own story on her struggle with eating disorders. One of the realest struggles of women today is the idea of an “ideal” body. While “curvy” and “thick” bodies become trendy, the reality is that big thighs, booties, and boobs also bring tummies and stretch marks. Her fashion videos show that plus sized women do not need to tuck and cover every inch of their bodies, and her swimwear lookbooks prove that every body is a beach body. Her body positivity is awesome for women everywhere who struggle with their own body image.

Today, take the time to thank an awesome woman in your life, and spread some positivity! These awesome women all want you to feel comfortable with who you are and own it! Together, we can make women feel beautiful, wanted, and empowered. We can smash the gender gap, and create an awesome world for the future.  

I am a plant mom, a knitter, and a cat lady. While I am majoring in mathematics here at Boise State, I also have a passion for writing! I'm not sure where my path is taking me yet but I'm happy to keep on trekking.