Homecoming Float Supporting Black Lives Matter Vandalized at Boise State

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Boise State chapter.

A Black Lives Matter Float from the Afro-Black Student Alliance was vandalized before Boise State’s homecoming parade Saturday, October 15th.  

Boise States President Kustra has since responded on BSU’S facebook page: “I learned this evening that a homecoming float built by the Afro-Black Student Alliance to raise awareness about the Black Lives Matter movement was damaged by vandals. Let me say unequivocally that I and all Boise State leaders condemn this act and any attempt to quiet the constitutionally protected free speech of students and others on our campus. Our security team is investigating the reports and will support the students if they choose to report the vandalism to police. We have reached out to the alliance’s student leaders to express our support directly. We intend to continue to do all we can to keep Boise State a safe and welcoming campus for all students.”

N’nandii Alexander, President of the Afro- Black Student Alliance said she was pleased with President Kustra’s fast response to the incident.

It took the club around seven hours to make their float for the homecoming parade. They found the float vandalized Saturday evening before the floats were going to be judged by the homecoming committee. Originally they were told the wind had damaged the float however, no other float but the black lives matter float had been damaged. 

They salvaged their float and continued to participate in the parade.

N’nandii describes black lives matter not as a movement but as a message, that black lives matter and that no one is excluded to spread the message. If you want to learn more about the Afro-Blacks student alliance, attend their meeting Friday October 21st  at the student diversity center in the student union building at 3pm.