Her Campus Boise State’s Weekend Netflix Picks: TV Edition

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Boise State chapter.

Happy Friday, lovelies! I hope you’re all ready for some much needed R & R. This weekend we have lined up a list of the top 5 TV shows you should be binge-watching on Netflix right now. Each of these shows are equally addicting, so we apologize if you never leave the house again. Time to get toasty in those slippers and your most comfortable blanket!

Weeds – Drama/Comedy

When an upper middle class mother of two finds herself a single mom, she takes on a new job as the neighborhood drug dealer in order to continue their standard of living. Of course, the transition to drug kingpin isn’t an easy one. From getting caught in the middle of gang warfare to a love affair with a DEA agent, Nancy moves from neighborhood pot dealer to drug smuggler.

Gossip Girl – Teen/Drama

If you haven’t been watching Gossip Girl you haven’t been living. The scheming, the lies, the clothes…Gossip Girl has it all. Follow the complicated and glamorous lives of Serena Van Der Woodsen, Blair Waldorf and their friends, family, and enemies as they scheme and connive to stay on top. (P.S.: Blair Waldorf is every college woman’s spirit animal.)

Call the Midwife – British TV/Drama

As a big fan of British television dramas, this one appeared on my recommended list and of course I just had to try it out. Turns out this drama is one of the best emotional, and well put-together TV shows out there. Not only is the character development phenomenal, but you get to know  the characters so well that you weep and laugh right alongside them. This show follows the nurse midwives of Nonnatus house in 1950’s London. These nurses do everything in their power to provide medical care to their community and assist in the birth of babies in many different (sometimes scary) circumstances.

Freaks and Geeks – Comedy

One of the great, short-lived shows of the 90’s, Freaks and Geeks was the first step to stardom for a couple of our famous comedian actors (picture a young Seth Rogan and James Franco). This awkward group of teenagers navigate through the struggles and social structure of high school in the 1980’s.

The Great British Baking Show – British TV/Culinary

Prepare to have your mind blown with culinary greatness. The things these people can do with baked goods will inspire you to ditch the couch (temporarily, of course) and bake some creations of your own. This 10-week baking/cooking competition has the contestants navigate through a series of different cooking components. May the best cook win!

Sophomore student at Boise State University double majoring in Sociology and Health Science with an emphasis in public health. Hobbies include Crossfit, cars, food, and binge watching British TV shows on Netflix.