Her Campus Boise State’s Weekend Netflix Picks: Galentine’s Day Edition

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Boise State chapter.

It’s time to break out the wine and stock up on Ferrero Rocher chocolates. Say “Screw Valentine’s Day” and stay in with your best gal pals for the ultimate Netflix sesh’. From romance to comedy, we got ‘chu covered. Pop open that bottle and make a toast to friends, Netflix, and chocolate. Happy Galentine’s Day, lovelies!

Iliza Shlesinger: War Paint – Stand-up Comedy

If you haven’t watched Iliza Shlesinger’s stand-up comedy, you are severely missing out on some of the funniest stand up you will ever watch. As a person who rarely laughs at stand-up comedy, this is the one that did me in. Iliza’s snarky, witty, stream of consciousness style comedy will have you laughing so hard you have to pause Netflix.

Miss Fisher’s Murder Mysteries – Mystery/Drama TV

Time to stock up on snacks, because you’re never leaving your house again. Miss Fisher’s Murder Mysteries is one of the absolute best, binge-worthy TV shows on Netflix right now. Miss Phryne Fisher is one bad ass woman. Not only is she an A+ murder detective, she is strong, witty, and independent. Follow Phryne on bizarre and mysterious murder cases, taking on villains and exposing the truth; all while wearing the most fabulous clothing that is the envy of your closet, and giving the Patriarchy a giant middle finger.

Across the Universe, Drama

This trippy and visually striking musical is a story based off of Beatles songs. If you haven’t seen this one (and have an appreciation for the Beatles), put this one on your list! This whimsical film follows the adventures and journey of love between Jude and Lucy in Vietnam-era America. Protests, social upheaval, and controversial war bring big change to a country split in two.

Mostly Martha, Romantic Comedy

For you fellow foodies, I present to you another romantic food film! An uptight gourmet chef is forced to deal with a major life change when an accident leaves her young niece in her care. Balancing work and newfound parenthood proves to be challenging until a handsome Italian sous-chef comes in and turns her kitchen into her worst nightmare. That is, until she starts falling for him.

Silver Linings Playbook – Romantic comedy

Two quirky people battling mental illness find refuge in one another. After spending some time in a mental illness facility, Pat temporarily stays with his football-obsessed family while he tries to reconcile with his estranged wife and get his personal affairs in order. Enter: Tiffany, the mysterious jogger woman who convinces Pat to enter a dance competition with her in exchange for help winning back his wife. The two become closer as they practice together, and help one another in dealing with their pasts.

Sophomore student at Boise State University double majoring in Sociology and Health Science with an emphasis in public health. Hobbies include Crossfit, cars, food, and binge watching British TV shows on Netflix.