This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Boise State chapter.

Okay people, doorstops are not expensive. Amazon has two for $5.99 and Walmart has them for $2.30. So why do you not own one? Those YouTube videos you watched before you packed your bags for Boise State never mentioned that you should bring one, but I am.

Having a doorstop this year changed my perspective on a lot of things. It showed me that, despite being somewhat shy, I have the capability to reach out to people. It presented the fact that college students are friendly. We actually have the capability to socialize and make pretty good friends as a result of it. Now when I come back to my dorm, it’s not just a dorm. It’s a home.

Home is where I don’t make awkward eye contact with people as I pass them. Instead, we both actually stop and have a conversation. Where we ask about each other’s day, and genuinely care about it. It’s the place where I can get an honest opinion if my grey sweatshirt goes with my patterned leggings. It’s the place where we collectively built a community. A community that supports, cares, and has great memories together. These are the people that I know that despite living in different places next year, we will still all hang out and cause more shenanigans.

Despite us being halfway through the school year and you thinking, “It’s too late! It would be too awkward now!”, I am here to tell you otherwise. Didn’t your mother ever tell you that it’s never too late to go after something that you want? Even though you may already have your social group, it never hurts to include more people in it. Wouldn’t it be so much easier to knock on your neighbor’s door and ask if they had any spare peanut butter, rather than going across campus to get it from your friend? The answer is yes, it would be easier.

Despite it possibly being awkward for a full five minutes, what do you have to lose? Nothing. So go for it. Knock on their door. Put yourself out there. Here I’ll even help you out…

You: Hello! My name is (your name goes here). I’m your neighbor from down the hall and was wondering if you had some peanut butter that I could borrow?Neighbor: Um. Okay. Hi. My name is (their name would then go here). Sure let me grab it for you.

See? First interaction done and done. Now when you’re in the hall you can start saying hi because it is seemingly less awkward and you ACTUALLY KNOW THEIR NAME. Over time when you see them in the common area you can hold conversations with them; and then BAM a new acquaintance is born. With your new doorstop, they may even feel compelled to walk by and say hi. All you have to thank is a little piece of wood or rubber.

Sydney Nassar

Boise State

Sydney is a social work major at Boise State. On campus she enjoys attending sporting events and hanging out with her friends avoiding impending deadlines. You can often find her day dreaming of the beach and European cobblestone streets.