Dancing with the Stars of the Treasure Valley

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Boise State chapter.

Now, I will be the first to admit that my dancing skills are not exactly on point. Don’t ask me to dougie or anything along those lines, unless you want a good laugh. So imagine my delight when I heard about the Treasure Valley’s Dancing with the Stars program. I have always been jealous and awe-stricken by people who can dance, so I jumped right at the opportunity to attend this event.

Dancing with the stars of the Treasure Valley included 12 participants from all over the valley. Some notable participants included Derrell Acrey, a former Boise State football player, Katarina Schweitzer, Miss Treasure Valley, Kaley Sparling, a former Miss World contestant, and Forrest Smithkors, a DJ from 96.9 The Eagle. These contestants, along with 9 other participants, graced the Special Events Center at Boise State with their hip-hop, jazz, and ballroom dances. The audience was delighted by the contestants energy and passion. You could tell that they were all ready and happy to assist in raising money for the American Cancer Society.  

The audience picked the winner by having buckets passed through the rows while the dancers were performing. The bucket who raised the most money was then declared the winner. There was also a three- way tie among the judges, Mark Johnson from KTVB, cancer survivor Kenzie Tanner, and Amber Swenson, an experienced pageant contestant. The overall winner with the most donations was Kaley Sparling, and the judges picked Katarina Schweitzer, Darrell Acrey and Jeni Adams as their winners for displaying a fun routine and for the contestants looking as if they enjoyed themselves. Each of the groups performing did a marvelous job and you could tell that they put in a lot of hard work and dedication.

The American Cancer Society wants to see more birthdays happen. In order for this goal to be accomplished they are committed to saving as many lives as they can from cancer. Everyone you talk to is affected by this disease somehow; whether it be your own parents or grandparents, a friend, or even an aunt, we are all affected. 74% of all funds raised go towards program services; this includes cancer research, patient support, prevention information and education, and detection and treatment.  The other 26% goes to supporting services which include fundraising expenses, management and other general expenses. 95% of all their funds comes from people like us, who want to see an end to this disease.

Relay For Life is the American Cancer Society’s biggest fundraiser to date. It was first begun in 1985 by a man named Dr. Klatt. He spent 24 hours walking the track for a total of 83 miles. Throughout the night friends and family came to support him and helped him raise a total of $27,000. That money was then donated to the American Cancer Society. Included in this special event is a special survivors lap, where the survivors are honored and recognized for their brave fight against this disease. The Luminaria Ceremony is also included, where people who have been touched by cancer are honored. They honor the people who are fighting, the people who have fought, and those who have lost the battle. If you are interested in participating in a Relay For Life team, there are numerous events being held all around the Boise area. One can be even found right on our campus and we have a team! If you’re interested in more information, check out Relay for Life of Boise State!

Sydney Nassar

Boise State

Sydney is a social work major at Boise State. On campus she enjoys attending sporting events and hanging out with her friends avoiding impending deadlines. You can often find her day dreaming of the beach and European cobblestone streets.