A Collegiette’s Guide to Saving Money During Spring Break

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Boise State chapter.

We all wonder what we’re going to do or where we will go for Spring Break. As college students we are all tight on money, because we have to pay for books, food, and housing. Most of us have part-time jobs that help us pay for some of our stuff, but if we want to do anything fun, we ponder what will we do on a tight college student budget. Well here are some tips and tricks that will help you in having an enjoyable and hopefully a stress free Spring Break from all the worries from school and work.

TIPS & TRICKS For Saving Money Over Spring Break:

Travel on your off-days or to places close to you that do not require you to spend a tank load of money on gas to go somewhere. Here in Boise there are so many places in the city that you can go to by just walking. You can walk to the Capitol building, which is free to go check out and walk around in. Interesting fact, Idaho is one of the states that only meets three months out of the year to pass and implement legislation. So, go check out a hearing on a bill or meet some of Idaho’s representatives walking through the capitol!

Innovate in how will you divvy up the money if you decide to go on a Spring Break road trip or vacation with friends. Before you even go on this trip you have all planned out, set out the amount each of you will pay for the trip you are about to go on. No one likes those who do not pay their part, so have everyone in the group paid and accounted for before you put this plan into action. Traveling in a group helps all of you when you all are on a tight budget. If you want to go somewhere, look into going to a place with a group of friends. Everything is a lot more fun when you are hanging out and doing things with friends versus sitting home alone and being a couch potato for a week long break. Breaks are meant to be fun, not boring!

Plan out the details of your trip or what you will do over Spring Break before it even happens. Plan how much money you need to go on a trip, including extra expenses you may encounter during that trip. Layout and compare prices of hotels, places to go, and airline companies, before your trip. If you did not plan before with all the costs for your trip, then make a plan on what you are going to do in order to pay off your trip. All you have to do is plan for what is going to occur and what you might possibly incur money and time wise over the break.

Save your money! Do not spend your well-earned money on lavish trips over this short break we get in a week. Save your money, so you can go somewhere later on in the year. Save your money in order to have something to fall back on if something comes up, which we all know happens in life. Another way you can save money before or following Spring Break it by getting a seasonal or part-time job that will help you in paying for these extra expenses that may result from you going on a week-long excursion.  If you want to have money for Spring Break, put a Spring Break fund in place that you can put five dollars into helping you pay for the trip before you go on it, but if not, then set up a fund to pay off the trip in increments of cash, so it finally gets paid off.  

Take a breath. Do not feel the need to go out and spend money over Spring Break. Relax at home or go on a hike or walk your dog. Go outside and experience the beautiful Spring weather. Do not get caught up in this rat race of “I have to be doing this in order to look like I am having a good time” according to those following you on your social media. Stay local for Spring Break and enjoy the the Gem state of Idaho and what a gem Boise truly is to take a breather from all the worries you may be facing in your life.

Rent a bike to go somewhere. Boise has bikes you can rent basically anywhere in the city to go from one place to the next. Instead of wasting money on gas, just bike to places that are not too far away. Also renting is a good option with friends, when you are staying at a place over spring break. Rent and do not buy unless absolutely necessary.

Indulge in food at home, no need to go out and eat at restaurants or fast food places throughout the week you have off from school. So, indulge in what you need to have versus what you think you need to have regarding not just food, but clothes and activities too. You can indulge yourself in some tasty food or nice things once in awhile, but do not break your bank account by going on a shopping spree. Spring Break is a time for you to relax and to just think about what you absolutely need in life at the moment, which is a nice and quaint break from the craziness and stress of college.

Coupons are life savers in the sense they save us starving college students from going poor or top ramen being a part of our regular diet. Groupon is a wonderful for those of us who want to do something in a group or on own, but we won’t do it unless it costs a lot less than it already is. Invest in Groupon, your life will change and you will be able to buy products or services at a lot lower prices. If you plan on traveling to a place, look at the groupons they have there. Get your Groupon before you go on your trip, because it will update you on deals in the area you are traveling to. Coupons and Groupon should be your best friend when it comes to doing things, especially Spring Break, on a college student’s tight budget.

Kick it with a friend or family close by. Most people do not see the point in spending money by buying a plane ticket to go home for Spring Break, so hang out with friends who decided to stay on campus over Spring Break. Hanging out with people close to you means you do not need to spend money on gas going from one place to another. Sometimes staying on campus over a break is good, because you do not need to worry about what you will do or how much money you have to spend on the trip you are currently on in Cabo (a Spring Break cliche to say the least). Most of the time, housing has events planned for students who stayed and those events usually do not cost a thing;  come down and hangout in the lobby with your fellow residents, free drinks and food are usually there (free stuff peeps).

Stick to what you need, not what you think you should have. Only bring the amount of money with you and a little extra cash for what you need to spend on food and possibly souvenirs you may get when you travel to a new place. Carry cash so you limit yourself to the amount you will spend on stuff during your trip, because we know that credit card you have in your wallet can be quite deadly.

Hopefully these tips and tricks will help you have the best money-saving Spring Break ever!

Maddie Taylor

Boise State

I am a 20-year-old sophomore at Boise State. My major is communication with a minor in gerontology. I am an aspiring journalist and enjoy writing poems in my free time.