A Collegiette’s Guide to Mother’s Day Gifts

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Boise State chapter.

Moms—they raised us, put up with us endlessly, and helped us through the ups and the downs. They are the ones we go to when we need to be comforted. We enjoy their cooking, and nothing means more to us than knowing that there is someone always supporting us. So when Mother’s Day rolls around, we scramble to find the perfect gift that shows how much we truly appreciate our moms’ awesomeness.  Here is a guide that helps make that task easier!

DIY It!

Nothing says “I love you” more than something crafted with your own two hands. And you don’t have to be super crafty or crazy artistic to make some very meaningful gifts for your mom! Making something is super personalized—it is guaranteed to show how much you truly care about your mom. And you don’t have to exactly make something from scratch. One super awesome DIY gift is simply putting together a gift basket of personalized items for your mom. If your mom really enjoys gardening, then put together a basket with gardening supplies. This could be applied to pretty much any interest—coffee, wine, baking—and is something that your mom is guaranteed to enjoy.

If you are on the more crafty side, there are tons of DIY gifts you can make for your mom; even when on a budget. The Sorry Girls have tons of super classy DIY’s on their YouTube channel that you can make, and they walk you through every step of the process, simplifying it so that pretty much anyone can make them. Check out their DIY playlist for tons of ideas that your mom is guaranteed to enjoy! (https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLBFFB31100B71F9EA) Just be sure to give yourself enough time to complete the gift before its time to give it to your mom!

Or…Let Someone Else

Sometimes time (or talent) isn’t exactly on our side. However, before you run to the store last minute to pick something generic up, think about buying something from a local shop that was made by someone else. This could be some tasty treats from a local bakery like Boise’s Bakery, or art prints from a local artist. You can also buy gifts from a local shop, such as a book from Rediscovered Books. These things are more personal than something generic from a store, and help our local economy. Basically, everyone wins!

A Day Out

Being college students, we probably don’t see our moms as much as they would like. So sometimes, it’s a gift in its own to go out with your mom for the day. You can make plans before you go, or you can just see where the day takes you. Your mom will certainly enjoy the quality time you spend with her.

And while you’re out with your mom, you might as well support some awesome local businesses. Some places offer classes that you can take part in, which could be an awesome way to get creative and spend time with your mom. Many of them offer Mother’s Day specials (check out our article on some awesome Mother’s Day deals in Boise!) that can save you some money while still getting the quality time with your mom!

Or…Stay In

Our moms work hard. And after finals, we are in desperate need of a break, too. So a great gift for your mom could simply be a day in to be lazy and enjoy each other’s company. You could prepare a breakfast for your mom, or you could cook together. Do you have a series you both have wanted to watch on Netflix? Go ahead and binge watch it together! Quality time is awesome and will allow both you and your mom to catch up. Mother’s Day is all about letting your mom know how much you appreciate her, and just spending time with her definitely shows how much you care.

No matter how you do it this Mother’s Day, show your mom how much you love and care for her. She’s been there for you from day one, and has always believed in you! Give her the “thank you” that she deserves!

I am a plant mom, a knitter, and a cat lady. While I am majoring in mathematics here at Boise State, I also have a passion for writing! I'm not sure where my path is taking me yet but I'm happy to keep on trekking.