A Collegiette’s Guide to Going to the Caucus

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Boise State chapter.

Growing up we are always told that the future is in our hands and this year it really is. The Presidential race of 2016 has been all over social media and the news, but when it comes to taking all of that information and putting it into action it is hard to know where to start. It is made even more difficult when you are in college and away from your home state.

Idaho happens to be a state in which you can vote even without permanent residency. As long as you have been living here for 30 days you can vote. All you need is a photo ID (your student ID works) and proof of residence inside the district which you would be voting in. Even if you are not registered you can do so at the caucus on the day of with that information.

If you are a Republican the opportunity to vote before the main election has passed, but for Democrats the caucus has arrived. If you’re nervous about the caucus experience it is important to know a few more things:

1. You can reserve a seat for the caucus on http://idahodems.org/caucus/. There they have all of the caucus information and can guide new voters in the process of going to the caucus.

2. It IS important to reserve a seat before going to the caucus. This year there has been record turnout for caucuses and it will get very crowded so for the sake of the venue and the people organizing the event you should RSVP like any other event.

3. Show up early and expect to be there for a while. Caucuses have been going late because of how many people have shown up to vote so bring snacks and water or eat before you go and be prepared for the long process.

4. If you are unsure of who you want to vote for don’t worry! Part of the process is people from both sides making their case for their preferred candidate and people freely switch between sides until they are sure of who to vote for.

5. Your vote DOES count. Many districts have been decided by just a few votes and in Idaho, Boise is one of the few more Democratic districts so the more people that vote here the more it will matter for who wins the state as a whole.

Overall, this is an experience where your voice does matter. A caucus is the time to raise your questions and get more informed about all of your options if you aren’t already and is a great jumping off point to continue to be engaged in the process for the rest of the election.

Senior at Boise State who loves to DIY, drink wine and binge Netflix.