Campus Cutie, Brandon Durkee: Boise State’s Own Ryan Gosling

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Boise State chapter.

Her Campus Boise State: Today, we got the chance to hear from a true Campus Celeb (and Cutie!), the Ryan Gosling of the Boise State campus himself, Brandon Durkee. Thanks for speaking with us, Brandon!

Brandon Durkee: No problem!

HC: We’ll start with the basics. What year are you?

BD: Sophomore.

HC: And how old are you?

BD: 22.

HC: Where is your hometown?

BD: Irvine, California. 

HC: Do you have any pets?

BD: Yeah, two dogs– Hank and Bailey are back at home.

HC: Very cute! It’s such a bummer being away from your pets ;(. 

BD: Yeah, for sure.

HC: What are you majoring in and what do you want to do in the future?

BD: I’m a History and Secondary Education Major, and I plan to be a teacher. Eventually, I’d like to become a school principal. I really enjoy working with kids, coaching, and teaching.

HC:  Do you work a job alongside attending Boise State as a full-time student?

BD: I do! I actually work on campus at the Admissions Office. I don’t really know my official title, though… I guess maybe “Student Worker”? (laughing)

HC: (Laughing) Works for us! What is the best part about working for Admissions?

BD: Definitely my co-workers, they’re really good company!

HC: That’s good to hear! Co-worker friends can make work so much more enjoyable. So, I hear that some people around campus know you by your nickname: Ryan Gosling. Is that true?  

BD: Yeah, I guess that’s true– most people, probably. Very few people know my REAL name. 

HC: How did you come to get this nickname?

BD: I blame my friend, Ian Dufficy! He noticed a resemblance and began spreading the word on campus that I was a Ryan Gosling look-alike. For whatever reason, it really caught on. People began noticing me and talking about me around campus.  Eventually, the conversation about the campus local, Ryan Gosling, spread to the popular site, Bronco Confessions. Before that, I didn’t even know about Confessions. After the nickname started spreading, someone screen-shotted the site and sent it to me. And the nickname just stuck after that!

HC: There is an uncanny resemblance, I have got to say– so what is it like being so well known around campus? And it all happened so quickly!

BD: It really did! I thought it was weird because it’s not like I am actually a celebrity, but people recognize me and yell out of car windows or bring it up in classes all the time. Even today, someone brought it up when I was in line at Subway! At the height of the buzz, I got like 500 friend requests on Facebook– it was kind of crazy.

HC: That IS crazy! How do you respond when people approach you about it?

BD: Umm, well, I try to laugh it off and change the subject… at first it was funny but it definitely got old after a while. 

HC: What is the strangest reaction you have ever gotten from all of this?

BD: One uncomfortable thing that happens every once in a while is a group of girls wanting to take pictures with me. (laughing) That’s kind of awkward, but whatever.

HC: Wow, that totally makes you a celebrity! For the record… do YOU think you look like RG?

BD: I can see why people would say that I do– so maybe a little bit. But definitely not as much as other people seem to think! 

HC: Do you like RG, your celeb doppleganger?

BD:  He seems like a good guy. (laughing) He’s got some pretty good movies… I like Crazy Stupid Love, The Notebook… he’s a good actor!

HC: You should become his stunt double!

BD: Noooooooo I definitely don’t have the guts to do that kind of crazy stuff! I wouldn’t mind being his friend, though. (laughing)

HC: Ever considered changing your appearance to reduce the hype? 

BD: No way! I’ve had this same haircut since I was six years old and I like the way I look. I definitely wouldn’t want to change it.

HC: Campus just breathed a sigh of relief. Ready to spout some fun facts?

BD: Let’s do it!

HC: If you could live anywhere in the world, where would it be?

BD: Las Vegas.

HC: Sweet or sour?

BD: Sweet.

HC: What do you order at a coffee shop?

BD: Black coffee or iced coffee.

HC: Red, blonde, or brunette?

BD: Brunette. 

HC: Favorite kids’ book?

BD: Curious George.

HC: Favorite artist?

BD: Amos Lee.

HC: Favorite movie?

BD: Forrest Gump.

HC: Favorite comedian?

BD: Kevin Hart.

Kara Stefani

Boise State

Hey there!   My name is Kara Stefani and I am in my third year of college, majoring in Psychology from Boise State University as well as minoring in Sociology, Family Studies, and Dance.  I currently work at the Women's Center on campus (not affiliated with HerCampus) as a Healthy Relationships Peer Educator, and enjoy it thoroughly.  I'm involved on campus as Vice President of the Psi Chi Honor Society as well as an active member of the Boise State University Secular Alliance.  Recently I have joined an organization called The Representation Project, and hope to encourage the representation of women as dynamic, leadership characters in the media.  This message is important to me, as I believe the future begins with our understanding of reality from a young age; what impacts young people more than the constant bombarding media?  On that note, EVERYONE fo EVERY age should go see Frozen. (:   As a writer for Boise State's HerCampus chapter, I hope to gain writing experience, as well as be a part of a fun team promoting involvement and community here at Boise State!   This is just a bit of what I am passionate about!  Don't hesitate to contact me if you have questions, ideas for an article, or comments about my work.Thanks and enjoy!-Kara Stefani (:
Katie Meikle

Boise State

Katie Meikle, also known as Meeks, Meikle or Pumpkin, is a junior and transfer student from Tufts University in Boston, currently studying health sciences at Boise State. Although a Boise native, Katie spent her entire high school career overseas, split between Japan and Taiwan. Katie's writing interests include fashion, healthy eating, mixology, and campus cuties... of course! She loves the great outdoors, traveling, her two dogs, Lexi and Hobbs, days at the beach, walks on sunny days, and her mom's cooking. Favorite quote: don't be a drag, just be a queen.