Campus Celeb: John Garretson

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Boise State chapter.

You may have seen him around campus from time to time. Or maybe he popped up on your Twitter feed. Or maybe you’ve had a Communication class with him. Whatever interaction you may have had, you know that John Garretson is a force to be rocked with. This week, Her Campus Boise State got a chance to sit down with John and pick his brain on his many successes in his undergraduate career at Boise State. (Check out a picture of John and the author, above!)

John sits across from me at a corner table in the Albertson’s Library Starbucks. As always, John is making a fashion statement: sporting a down vest, drinking iced coffee. (Yes, iced coffee… John, did you not get the memo that it’s about 20 degrees outside???)

“I don’t care about how cold it is outside, iced coffee is always a good call,” John says. 

Quick facts:

Age: 22.

Major: Senior, Communication/Public Relations.

Hometown: Cranford, New Jersey.

Her Campus Boise State: So you came all the way from Jersey… why did you choose Boise State?

John Garretson: That’s the million dollar question! It chose me… joking aside, having my aunt and uncle out here for quite some time gave me a window of opportunity to be a part of a university on the rise that has a ski slope less than a half hour away. The blue turf might have had something to do with it, too. 

HC: What areas are you involved with on campus?

JG: I’m the Boise State PRSSA (Public Relations Student Society of America) chapter president, Tau Kappa Epsilon chapter president, Marketing Director for Relay for Life at Boise State and a wannabe-astronaut/team member with #SpaceBroncos, a really cool project that Boise State isn’t ready for, come Spring ’14. On the side, I’m trying to launch the “Student Vest-Wearing Association of Boise State (SVWABSU)” to promote student vest-wearing culture.

HC: Classy stuff. What is your biggest accomplishment as PRSSA Prez?

JG: Woof. How cliche does it sound if I say everyday is an accomplishment? There have been some great projects this semester and some amazing guest speakers. Honestly, the students I work with day-to-day are as genuine and earnest as they come. Not many students can say they are participating in a class that is ALL hands-on work that directly affects the local community in a positive way. I’m lucky to be leading these rockstars. Shout out to the #PRty crew.

HC: What is the biggest lesson you’ve learned in a leadership role?

JG: Easy: you’re going to fall down. Whether it’s from a minor crack or from a big ditch, you’re going to get your knees scraped and dirtied. But it’s about how quickly you get up, who’s there to help clean you off (resources, resources, resources!), and the action of mapping out how to avoid those routes and obstacles in the future. Pretty metaphorical, eh?

HC: Why are you passionate about Public Relations?

JG: I’m passionate about PR because every day brings a new relationship, problem, opportunity, meeting or brainstorm. But the overall success of a campaign cannot be determined until after it’s all evaluated and everything is said and done. That hard work, team effort, and overall anticipation makes it all worth it.

HC: Post-grad plans?

JG: Who the f#*& knows. But for the PG-rated version, I’d like to take my talents (boo, overplayed Lebron joke, I know) to an agency and work with consumer and tech clients and brands.

Fun Stuff:

Favorite Band: The Gaslight Anthem.

Favorite Color: Blue.

Favorite Food: Quesorito (if you have to ask, don’t bother).

Something unique about yourself: I won a Captain Crunch contest back in 1st grade and received a cool $100. We stay in touch.

Favorite Class: Jeez, I could go off: Campaigns with Sam Harmer, PR Writing with Christine Moore, Organizational Communication with Natalie Nelson-Marsh. Oh, and anything with Mary Frances Casper (brownie points on lock down).

Dream Job: It changes everyday…but something about establishing “The Garretson Agency” has a nice ring to it…

With vest-wearing swag and a powerful presence on campus that demands our attention, John Garretson is certainly making his mark on campus as he blazes through his Senior year at Boise State.

I'm a junior at Boise State University studying Communication and Public Relations. I love trying new things and meeting new people! Follow me on Twitter @KaitlynHannah92.