Campus Celeb: Dr. Heidi Reeder!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Boise State chapter.

Her Campus Boise State: Dr. Reeder, thank you for speaking with us today! After reading your bio and looking over your website, I’ve noticed that you have a VERY impressive college career at the University of Oregon, Stanford, and finally Arizona State University, where you earned your Ph.D. Can you tell us a little bit about what influenced your decision to attend these universities and earn your Ph.D?

Heidi Reeder: I was born in Palo Alto, so that definitely influenced my decision to go to Stanford. I grew up in Eugene, Oregon, where I attended the University of Oregon. Finally, I chose Arizona State University specifically because they had the best professors in interpersonal communication.

HC: Very nice. Those are all awesome campuses! What interested you about studying communication?

HR: I had an initial interest in pursuing Psychology and Management, so it seemed to me that interpersonal relations was a practical area of study. It brings out the best in people. I was able to work with some great mentors.

HC: Was there any one person who was an inspiration to you throughout your college journey?

HR: I had several teachers who were an inspiration to me. At the University of Oregon, there was Dr. Glaser and Dr. Frank. They are both very passionate people and I aspired to be a combination of the two of them.

HC: They sound like amazing professors! What is one of your proudest accomplishments? You definitely have a long list to choose from!

HR: Ok, so I do have some great accomplishments! My book, the Today Show, and flying to D.C. to meet other winners of the Carnegie Award are probably among my top picks. Another defining moment for me was when I was addressed as “Dr. Reeder” for the first time after defending my doctoral dissertation. That title represents many years of hard work and dedication. 

HC: Wow! Talk about success! So tell us: what are you currently involved with?

HR: I just published a book called Commit to Win. I write for Psychology Today as an expert blogger, do business trainings, and teach Boise State students.

HC: Looks like you are one busy woman! Dr. Reeder, if you could be world renowned for one thing, what would it be? 

HR: I think I’d want to be world renowned as an author and speaker who helps and inspires people. It is very validating to help others.

HC: I think you have already inspired many. If you could take a week off from your very busy schedule, what would you want to do? 

HR: I would love to go to France with my husband! He has never been and it would be so great to show him the beach, wine, and architecture. Or, I would want to take a trip to Kauai, where we were married.

HC: Dr. Reeder, you are one hardworking woman and an inspiration to all of us. Thanks for the lovely chat and enjoy your summer! 

Hi! I am Courtney :)Originally from California, I came to Boise to seek a new journey in a completely different city. I am currently a Junior and Communications major here at Boise State University...GO BRONCOS! I have a huge intrest and passion in fashion and traveling. Currently, I work as a bridal constultant at Chic Bridal Boutique and absolutely adore my job!