The Boise Summer Bucket List

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Boise State chapter.

So, you’re staying in Boise for the summer. I know what you’re thinking: I have to stay in town and work my butt off while others get to travel and have the time of their lives. But don’t fret, collegiette! There are plenty of things to keep you busy this summer in your down time, without having to take time off work or spend your hard earned money on travel expenses. Here is the ultimate Boise Summer Bucket List! Take a few suggestions, or all of them– just make sure you live Summer 2014 to the fullest!

Week 1: May 19 – May 25

It’s the first week of break and you have been completely exhausted by finals. Take it easy this week. Go tour the Old State Penitentiary, or go see the Ann Morrison Park flower garden. A nice stroll and some fresh air are good for the over-worked college brain.

Week 2: May 26 – June 1

Kick off your main summer festivities with a mini-vacation! My suggestion would be a weekend trip to McCall. McCall has nice cabins, campgrounds, and hotels for you and your friends to stay and kickback. There are lots of things to do in the area, ranging from swimming in the lake or local hotsprings, eating at the famous Pancake House, or doing some nice hiking in the great outdoors. 

Week 3: June 2 – June 8

If you have never been to a concert at the Idaho Botanical Garden, this week is your chance! The Fray will be here Wednesday June, 4th! Not only will it be a great concert, but it will be a one-of-a-kind summertime experience, too. General Admission tickets are just $35!

Week 4: June 9 – June 15

This week, it’s time to break out those tennis / hiking shoes. Lucky Peak is a great place to do some local hiking! Not only can you hike around this area, but you can bring your swimsuit along and take a dip in the river when you’re done! Make it a day and pack a picnic lunch.

Week 5: June 16 – June 22

Its mid-summer, so it’s time to freshen up your diet. Going to the Boise Farmers market this Saturday, the 21st, can help you out with that. Not only will you be buying fresh produce and food, but you will also be supporting the local economy. 

Week 6: June 21 – June 29

This week is the Boise Music Festival! Head out to Expo Idaho to enjoy a fantastic line up of musicians on Saturday, June 28th! This year’s headliners include:

2:40pm | Sir Mix-A-Lot

4:00pm | Lee Dewyze

5:05pm | LMFAO’s Sky Blu

6:40pm | Fitz and the Tantrums

8:15pm | Train

Week 7: June 30 – July 6

Ann Morrison Park is home to a very impressive 18-hole Frisbee golf course, otherwise known as frolf. Get some friends together and a few frolf disks and go test your skills! Make it exciting: losers jump in the Boise River.

Week 8: July 7 – July 13

Use this week to learn some local history: you can book a guided tour two weeks in advance, or pick up a tour pamphlet and tour the capital city’s historical sites at your leisure. 

Week 9: July 14 – July 20

Roaring Springs Water Park is the place to be when the weather gets so hot you can barely stand it!

Week 10: July 21 – July 27

Table Rock is a must-do for Summer 2014, especially if you have never hiked it before. The nighttime view of Boise is spectacular. Or, go in the morning and take a picnic lunch.  

Week 11: July 28 – August 3

Downtown Boise is home to a number of great things to see and explore. Freak Alley is definitely one of them– make sure you check it out and take pictures of your favorite graffiti art. 

Week 12: August 4 – August 10

It’s the time of year when everyone is coming back from their summer vacations. As school approaches, invite all of your friends to float the river with you and enjoy the last bit of sun that you can before school starts up again. 

Week 13: August 11 – August 17

Take this week to get mentally prepped for school! 

Ashley Graham

Boise State

Hey all, My name is Ashley and I am a very creative person who enjoys photography and journalism. I love fashion and am going to school for marketing so that I can go into advertisement and create print ads for magazines.
Katie Meikle

Boise State

Katie Meikle, also known as Meeks, Meikle or Pumpkin, is a junior and transfer student from Tufts University in Boston, currently studying health sciences at Boise State. Although a Boise native, Katie spent her entire high school career overseas, split between Japan and Taiwan. Katie's writing interests include fashion, healthy eating, mixology, and campus cuties... of course! She loves the great outdoors, traveling, her two dogs, Lexi and Hobbs, days at the beach, walks on sunny days, and her mom's cooking. Favorite quote: don't be a drag, just be a queen.